The Great Great Basin Over the Fourth

Our interest in the Great Basin is almost becoming an addiction. When we tell friends at home that we are headed, once again, for the middle of Nevada we can see a look of pity enter their eyes. I suspect the churchgoers among them actually pray for us. This is a report on our latest wanderings in Nevada.

I know how you feel, ski3pin. It's one of my favorite and much-visited areas, and it's an even further drive for me.
(What's even crazier -- distance-wise -- is my addiction to the Great Basin NatPark area!
rolleyes.gif
)

Looking forward to your full report after this intriguing start...
...interested in hearing if the two Spencer-seeking women turned out to be Thelma & Louise.

It's a nice start to a story, Ski. Funny how all the photos of Toquima end up being taken through the hole in the fence. Nice sunset shots.

<snip>
Our interest in the Great Basin is almost becoming an addiction. When we tell friends at home that we are headed, once again, for the middle of Nevada we can see a look of pity enter their eyes. I suspect the churchgoers among them actually pray for us. This is a report on our latest wanderings in Nevada.
<snip>
This churchgoer prays, "Good be on them, Lord!" Thanks for the pictures from your cameras and your hearts.

So far so good -- Thanks!
I've camped at Pine Creek C.G. several times over the years, but I've never ventured more than a couple miles up the trail/canyon. You make it sound very worthwhile to go high up there.
smile.gif
Next time, maybe.

After a few miles the road leaves the canyon and does a steep narrow climb to the ridge top. Here we turned up the ridge and found the spot we had seen from the Mount Jefferson summit.

gallery_1902_307_19949.jpg

It was a great spot with the on top of the world feeling we were expecting.

So cool -- I've GOTTA camp there! That's exactly what I like in a campsite.
smile.gif
I'll be there some time after Labor Day this year!
And I need to climb Mt. Jefferson, too.

Great report and photos, 3pins. Keep the adventures coming!

I hiked up Mt Jefferson (and Arc Dome to the west) one October a few years ago. It is much, much wetter and greener out there this year than during my visit.

Well, I have been all over that area, but now you have given me yet another destination to shoot for. I love this state, so much to see/experience.

Thanks for the report, looking forward to the "rest of the story."

Jack

Dude! As on your Toroweap trip, you seem blessed with cool-good-fortune! Or maybe you make that fortune....
smile.gif

I wish your report would just keep on coming, but I guess the 3pins had to get back home sometime.

Hey, Ted, my best friend, when will you be getting out to UT?

Your reports seem to get better and better, thanks for sharing this dispatch, what a great read.

And I agree, Ted is a pretty good guy.
wink.gif

Susan and I really enjoyed your write ups and photos, Ski. Now we really need to get back to central NV and check out Arc Dome as well as revisit Pine Creek / Alta Toquima. I think you were really lucky (or smart) to visit these areas under unusually lush conditions.

Wow that is a spectacular report! The photos are great! I hope to spend a lot more time in Nevada in the near future for reasons that this report makes obvious. Regarding my ascent of Mt. Jefferson - I was in some pretty extreme conditions that day - temps above 100 degrees. I had a backpack full of water and i used most of it. At the top, i opted to call it good at the saddle between the peaks. Too bad I didn't get to sign the book :(

Another memory I had from that hike is that I almost had an "incident" coming down from the saddle. You can actually see the spot in one of your photos, but at the very top of the valley where there is a steep rocky section where valley transitions to high plateau at the saddle... I tripped on the way down and almost fell into the rocks. It would have been bad as I was solo. I've always worried about my solo hikes up these big mountains so in the future maybe I can hook up with some of you nevada explorers for some epic hikes that are a bit safer than what I have been doing :)

Ski,
A fantastic trip report as usual. Your photos are always amazing and your way with words complements them well. "Hawk enshrouded glorious new Tundra". Wow, our truck looks better to me having read that. :LOL: Seriously, though, I felt from your previous trip reports that we would enjoy each other's company. Others have said how nice you two are and that you have lots of interesting tales to tell. It's all true. However, you may have built up a persona for me that will be hard to live up to. It is easy to be the always lost guy that is the butt of DD's jokes. Now I have to make a grand entrance everywhere I go. ;)

Hey, Ted, my best friend, when will you be getting out to UT?

Possibly sooner than you think, my friend. I'll let you know as plans develop.

At the top, i opted to call it good at the saddle between the peaks. Too bad I didn't get to sign the book
I'm glad you admitted to this. I was about to call for a Congressional investigation into fraud. :p

<snip>
so in the future maybe I can hook up with some of you nevada explorers for some epic hikes that are a bit safer than what I have been doing :)

Nevada? epic hikes?.......okay! :D

Back
Top Bottom