The joys of local overnighters!

Squatch

We have a few local state parks near here. I've been running up to Fort Fredrick State Park once a week for the last 3 weeks. My bud Hack has joined me for the last 2 trips. Real close to home and $7 night off season. I'm pretty much just running up to have a campfire and it's been great for sorting out my processes and packing with the camper. Less than an hour and a 1/2 from home. Retirement allows me to go mid week. We've had the entire campground and most of the park to ourselves. The park is adjacent to the C+O Canal National park. 185 miles of cycling and hiking along the canal towpath without riding on a road. Fishing in the Potomac and Big Pool. I did fish but I don't have pics of that.

1st trip solo.

Kinda have it to ourselves!

Reason for the trip.

2nd trip I didn't take pics. The rest are the 3rd trip. We went up to witness the Super, Super Moon.

Big Pool from the boat ramp. This is a lake that was made when the were building the C+O canal. Like the river it's low right now.

The Potomac river behind my campsite.

I moved the truck to take advantage of unblocked sun to charge the camper battery with solar.

Hacks cool little Coleman Colorado!

Hack has got it rough.

Super Moon rising.

Moon over my camper at night.

My camp.

Fort Fredrick. Built for French and Indian war to protect settlers in 1754. Abandoned by the army in 1759. Bought back by the state in 1922 from a black freeman. Rebuilt by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the '30's. Maryland's 1st state park.

Bunkhouses inside the fort.

I want one!

Camera view through windows we couldn't see through. These buildings are open in tourist season.

Camp store from the top of the wall.

Packed and ready to leave.

Nothing like enjoying your own backyard. The FWC Eagle is perfect for this type of trip.

So true. We are surrounded by Civil War battle fields, Revolutionary War Forts, And much more from the early days of this country. The downside is the massive population and traffic in the east. More reasons to take advantage of the off season.

We've had some very enjoyable trips close to home. Good reminder you don't have to drive across the country to explore. Thanks for the report.

That's a nice looking fire pit you had at your campsite!

I assume that area would be described as boreal forest.

I consider fall/winter the start of the camping season.
Nice to have the place to yourself with the lower rates.

Hopefully you get in many more trips!!!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bill, It is a mixed deciduous forest. Boreal is much farther north.

A great book I carry is the Audubon Society Nature Guide "Eastern Forests" It's describes the different types of forests for this part of the country. It also has tons of pics/descriptions of bugs, trees, birds, mammals, weeds that you might find here.

It's funny you should mention the firepit. Most of the ones the NPS uses here in the east leave a lot to be desired. Too big and deep and the grill is a joke. These are great. Nice size with reasonable wall height so you feel some heat. The grill works well. We've used it all 3 times. We were commenting around the fire that the NPS should use these. It sits on a concrete slab and is hinged so it flips up. easy to shovel the ashes off the slab.

Thanks for the nice comments folks.

Squatch said:
Bill, It is a mixed deciduous forest. Boreal is much farther north.

A great book I carry is the Audubon Society Nature Guide "Eastern Forests" It's describes the different types of forests for this part of the country. It also has tons of pics/descriptions of bugs, trees, birds, mammals, weeds that you might find here.

It's funny you should mention the firepit. Most of the ones the NPS uses here in the east leave a lot to be desired. Too big and deep and the grill is a joke. These are great. Nice size with reasonable wall height so you feel some heat. The grill works well. We've used it all 3 times. We were commenting around the fire that the NPS should use these. It sits on a concrete slab and is hinged so it flips up. easy to shovel the ashes off the slab.

Thanks for the nice comments folks.
We are getting down to 14F at night now and only getting much colder.
This is the typical pit that I see, which is much nicer than a camp stove style.
That pit you have there is awesome!!!

BTW, My GF is the fire starter. I'm the fire Marshall. I gave her heck for piling the wood so high.

Nice to see you are getting out in the fall, and local can feel that much more rewarding.
It's real nice to be able to use our campers year round.

Attachments

• DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 106
Oh yeah, it's sure nice through trip reports to see other parts of the country and the added history as well. Thanks for the TR and in the one picture of you inside the fort it looks like you may be a loose cannon? Sorry, it had to be asked.

Nice place Squatch! You are good at finding them. I am going to count the cannons (cannon?) when I go..... just to make sure ....lol

Back
Top Bottom