The Language of Science

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
It’s two words that drive you to the dictionary versus a sentence that most will understand.

“Edaphic endemisim is rampant on the Plateau” says a statement about as tabloidesque as a botany text will dare. In other words, the range of certain endemics, or flora limited to specific localities, is often determined by soil conditions.

A Field Guide to Brazen Harlotry
Ellen Meloy

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I believe that refers to the fancy displays of cactus blooms. :LOL:

ski3pin said:
Exactly want I was thinking.
Nature does not bother with being discreet. When it is time to procreate, very few species, flora or fauna, are left wondering if it is the right time! Any means will do including water, wind, bugs, birds and nowadays we humans labor to serve the procreative desires of yeast, bacteria, fish, fowl, livestock and plants.

What is that song about birds, bees and sycamore trees?

The glossary in my Munz - A California Flora is permanently bookmarked. I mean - rugose? Is there a reason you can't use the word wrinkled?

teledork said:
The glossary in my Munz - A California Flora is permanently bookmarked. I mean - rugose? Is there a reason you can't use the word wrinkled?
Back in my first year of undergrad I asked my Historical Geology professor why geologic time had such illogical names like Ordovician, Silurian, Jurassic, etc. He was kind and said it was just tradition from over a hundred years in the past, everyone in geology used the same terms, and I would just have to suck it up. My original question still stands, but no geologist cares.

AWG_Pics said:
Back in my first year of undergrad I asked my Historical Geology professor why geologic time had such illogical names like Ordovician, Silurian, Jurassic, etc. He was kind and said it was just tradition from over a hundred years in the past, everyone in geology used the same terms, and I would just have to suck it up. My original question still stands, but no geologist cares.
Tradition unhampered by progress :p

:)

Tradition unhampered by progress :p

At workshops where I presented, I would wander back into tradition to explain why banjo bracket hooks are a weird 8x26 thread and not a current 8x32 or 8x24.

Late 1800's and early 1900's bicycle manufacturing drove the machine screw industry. Bicycles used a 8x26 thread. Banjo manufacturing blossomed right along with the bicycle.

The automobile is the rage now.............SAE

Metric? You'll have to pry my sae threads out of my cold dead fingers...............

....... :)

Back
Top Bottom