The Last Time the Earth's Magnetic Field Flipped

Absolutely fascinating. Who knew there were fluorocarbons, Chevy Suburbans, and V-10 F-250s 42,000 years ago? :p

Seriously, magnetic flips were taught in undergraduate geology programs even back in the Pleistocene when I graduated from Appalachian State. Between mag flips and entire continents surfing the mantle all over the globe, paleogeography is a pretty challenging niche.

Foy

Years ago I watched a NOVA program called Magnetic Storm. It included basalt layers in Steens Mountain Oregon that showed crystal alignments that indicated flip flopping of the magnetic poles. It also stated pole flip occurred on average every 300,000 years and that we were overdue. In this article it states we had a short lived pole reversal 42,000 years ago. That's what caught my eye along with the theory that increased UV drove man into caves. Fascinating stuff, indeed!

There have been many such reversals over the last couple hundred million years. Capture.JPG
Given that 12000 years ago there were lakes all over the Great basin and many of the ranges were just islands, it is surprising how most people think that things don't really change all that much.

AWG_Pics said:
Given that 12000 years ago there were lakes all over the Great basin and many of the ranges were just islands, it is surprising how most people think that things don't really change all that much.
Amen to that, geo-brother.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom