The new coffee thread

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
We've had some lengthy discussions here about what kind of coffee maker to use on the road - percolator, french press etc. Well I am here to announce I have the final answer.

Starbucks instant.

Nuff said.

We've had some lengthy discussions here about what kind of coffee maker to use on the road - percolator, french press etc. Well I am here to announce I have the final answer.

Starbucks instant.

Nuff said.

Are you lookin' fer a thrashin' son?
angry.gif

How can your standards be so high for beer but essentially non-existent for coffee? Kids these days...
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Are you lookin' fer a thrashin' son?
angry.gif

How can your standards be so high for beer but essentially non-existent for coffee? Kids these days...
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm behind you on this, Mark! What poor taste.

do you bring your own water?
if you do, maybe you shouldn't. If you don't maybe you should drink tea.
-jw

I'm behind you on this, Mark! What poor taste.

I don't know...maybe we should give DD a break. He's been on the road for a while, camping at a strange latitude -- he probably has some southern fever or delirious from the sun. You know, like chnlisle.
laugh.gif
j.k, jay.

Folgers instant --- Give it a try! You'll think it is some new kind of drink, you might even like it....

fair enough. i have to admit the stuff isn't that bad. it doesn't take up much room and is pretty quick to drink.

- jw

Looks like a blind taste test is called for. I hope are words are as tasty to eat as Starbucks instant :D

Te Aro Roasted is the only place for beans. Best in the world. From Toronto.

It may be my sister and brother-in-law's business, but that has nothing to do with it :p

Seriously, they've turned me into a big time coffee snob.

P.s. I do hand grinder and French press. Just add boiling water. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Aside from the aforementioned instant coffee, which may or may not be actual coffee.

Te Aro Roasted is the only place for beans. Best in the world. From Toronto.

It may be my sister and brother-in-law's business, but that has nothing to do with it :p

Seriously, they've turned me into a big time coffee snob.

Well remember we are talking about coffee for camping here. I'm not about to bust out instant at home lets not get totally ridiculous :oops:

In all honesty, I really don't have a sophisticated palette...though I probably wouldn't bother drinking instant anymore unless I just wanted the caffeine, and if that's the case I'd just take NoDoz.

But if anyone is interested in the opinion of the most highfalutin source for coffee reviews, CoffeeReview.com, see their review of instant coffees (including 2 Starbucks flavors) from a year ago. For reference, a very good coffee rating here (like wine ratings elsewhere) is >90, and all of these (except a liquid concentrate) were less than 80....some much less than 80. They don't hate Starbucks (among these instants), but it's not the top -- except in price!

BTW: I can't detect even 10% of the flavor notes that the CoffeeReview.com guys describe -- not sophisticated! But I like to pretend...
tongue.gif

Well remember we are talking about coffee for camping here. I'm not about to bust out instant at home lets not get totally ridiculous :oops:

I was talking about camping :eek: :eek: !!

Looks like a blind taste test is called for. I hope are words are as tasty to eat as Starbucks instant
biggrin.gif

If one eats Starbucks instant coffee, then I'm not interested. That's too strong for me.
biggrin.gif

"DD Never has a second bite of coffee at home."

Mild hi-jack here, but for those of you using hand grinders what are you using??

I use the Hario Slim mill.
Right off Gormley's link to his sis and bro-in-law's page: http://www.te-aro.ca...-mini-slim-mill

But, I bought mine at the same place I get my green coffee - Sweet Maria's

Where I live, the only good coffee is the stuff you roast yourself. No Starbucks around here. Didn't even know they made instant...

I use the Hario Slim mill.
Right off Gormley's link to his sis and bro-in-law's page: http://www.te-aro.ca...-mini-slim-mill

But, I bought mine at the same place I get my green coffee - Sweet Maria's

Where I live, the only good coffee is the stuff you roast yourself. No Starbucks around here. Didn't even know they made instant...

Thanks Mr. Z, I'll check it out. Costs more than my French press but looks well made.

Back
Top Bottom