The new coffee thread

Thanks Mr. Z, I'll check it out. Costs more than my French press but looks well made.

well it must be well made :D

---snip---

"Secure design makes women less fatigue and easier grinding."
mini_mill_large.jpeg

well it must be well made :D

---snip---

"Secure design makes women less fatigue and easier grinding."
mini_mill_large.jpeg

HA-HA....The co-pilot will love that. Can't wait to point this feature out!

I just grab packets of coffee from motels we occasionally stay at and put the sealed packet in a cup with real hot water and swirl it around. Toss the packet. I use a seasoned plastic cup that does not break.

coffee, the true coffee,how too below in easy steps.

1. water in pot,pan,can,anything metal.
2.coffee.any type any amount,(this is where experience comes in)
3. if at breakfast time egg shell can't hurt.
4. add a smooth rock to bottom (this keeps grounds 0n bottom when you pour)
5.bring to boil.cover let set to calm grounds.
6.pour slowly into cup.kick back and enjoy!.

we used this method on all of our bicycle trips,( less e.g. shells most of the time)

for you new kids this is called cowboy coffee, the true travel coffee.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,lqhikers

I use the Hario Ceramic mill. Had it for a few years now and I've never had to clean it or anything. It always rides along in the camper and sits on my counter at home.

Looks like a blind taste test is called for.

This might be fun to do at a future rally. I have put together blind wine tastings so doing one for coffee would be a possibility.

I just did an exhaustive scientific analysis of all the responses in this thread and it turns out I'm still right. :LOL:

This might be fun to do at a future rally. I have put together blind wine tastings so doing one for coffee would be a possibility.

Hey just remember that Consumer Reports blind taste test for beer said that Coors was the best.

Since space is such a commodity on the FWC Raven, I went with these two options:

French Press
314FPD7IwOL._AA300_.jpg

Grinder
31BeD8W3OeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They both take little space and are unbreakable

French Press for me, usually grind beans @ home before a trip.

There are several 3 in 1 instant coffee packs available at the asian markets, that are really good. 3 in 1 has got the cream & sugar in it already. I drink them while hiking/backpacking all the time. The G7 & Maxam brand are the best. G7 is vietnamese coffee, and maxam is Korean. Both very good for instant.

They cost about $5 for a box of 22 packs.

Grinder
31BeD8W3OeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They both take little space and are unbreakable

How long have you had, used, this grinder? And it's worked out well for you? Just asking, since quite a few of the reviews on Amazon mention that it broke soon.

I'm in the market for a camping grinder, presumably hand-powered. Although...
...Seems like I recall in the movie "City Slickers", Billy Crystal had a battery-powered coffee grinder that he used while out "on the trail" -- the noise of it caused the dogies to stampede. Anyone else remember that?

French Press for me, usually grind beans @ home before a trip.

Same here, just moved to a larger press. I like good coffee but grinding beans on the road is too much for me :oops:

About two years ago I met up with DD and stew for a tour of Southern Utah. During the course of the exploration I ran out of instant coffee. The horror still haunts me today. DD very kindly lent me some Starbucks instant coffee. It was the best instant I ever had, bar none. That being said, stew offered me a cup of coffee made with a drip thingy that sat over the cup where you poured the hot water in. Stew was my new best friend and I would hang around him each morning to bum another cup of joe.

Long story short within a week of returning home I had bought one for myself. Now each morning camping I have fresh drip coffee just like at home. I'm still eternally grateful to DD and stew for the kindness they showed me.

Mike

How long have you had, used, this grinder? And it's worked out well for you? Just asking, since quite a few of the reviews on Amazon mention that it broke soon.

I'm in the market for a camping grinder, presumably hand-powered. Although...
...Seems like I recall in the movie "City Slickers", Billy Crystal had a battery-powered coffee grinder that he used while out "on the trail" -- the noise of it caused the dogies to stampede. Anyone else remember that?

Only a few months so it may wear out, don't know. It is work but I have a lot of time on my hands when camping so I don't care. The handle comes off so you can use a cordless drill to drive it if you're in a hurry.

<snip> stew offered me a cup of coffee made with a drip thingy that sat over the cup where you poured the hot water in. Stew was my new best friend and I would hang around him each morning to bum another cup of joe.

<snip>

Back to coffee...............our current favorite is Peets Coffee's Garuda Blend, ground prior to the trip, stored in a vacuum canister, and brewed with a drip thingy. Second best reason for waking up.

Back to coffee...............our current favorite is Peets Coffee's Garuda Blend, ground prior to the trip, stored in a vacuum canister, and brewed with a drip thingy. Second best reason for waking up.

And don't forget Major Dickensons, our fav Peets coffee

And don't forget Major Dickensons, our fav Peets coffee

Yes, a great old favorite you can't go wrong with. Had some this morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom