The new coffee thread

I have swung both ways from french press to drip and even dabbled in (gasp) instant. Currently I'm using a drip setup, but not really enjoying the amount of waste (grounds+filter) so I may investigate a metal mesh drip cone/cup thing. As I have never owned a hand grinder, I've always ground at home, or resupplied with store-bought ground coffee. Recently however, I ran into a guy in Death Valley who had the classiest coffee grinder I've ever seen. Apparently he has a friend who imports them and sells them on ebay for between $10-20. I didn't get the name of the ebay seller but searching brought up a couple different varieties.

Here's a German version that has gotten some fairly good reviews (and also costs 4x as much as competitors)

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders/zassenhaus-175-m-turkish-mill.html

And here's the Ebay search page:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=turkish+coffee+grinder&_sacat=0&_odkw=brass+coffee+grinder&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Cheers,
West

And if you want something real simple, get an ibrik which is the small pot used for making Turkish coffee or one of those small vietamese coffee makers. I have all kinds including a few espresso machines and they all make great coffee. The vietamese makers are very slow, 5~10 minutes so you might fall back to sleep during brewing :eek:. The Turkesh preparation make for good theater and if you're not carefull, can be messy

Well for me its Peerless Coffee, especially chocolate-raspberry, now that they tell me that I get one cup a day, brewed over my one cup at a time plastic thing that sometimes keeps the grounds mostly out of my cup. Before I retired was a five cup a day-er, now!!!

Smoke!

Currently I'm using a drip setup, but not really enjoying the amount of waste (grounds+filter) so I may investigate a metal mesh drip cone/cup thing.
Use your favorite coffee funnel and biodegradable coffee filters.

After making your drip coffee, hold the funnel and fling it as hard as you can so that the biodegradable coffee filter and coffee grounds impact thru some foliage. Like magic, you will be hard pressed to find the biodegradable coffee filter or the coffee grounds, and no wasting soap and water washing the funnel.

Mike

Use your favorite coffee funnel and biodegradable coffee filters.

After making your drip coffee, hold the funnel and fling it as hard as you can so that the biodegradable coffee filter and coffee grounds impact thru some foliage. Like magic, you will be hard pressed to find the biodegradable coffee filter or the coffee grounds, and no wasting soap and water washing the funnel.

Mike

That's sorta a good idea.I think some places still might think that is "littering" even though all will decompose in a quick fashion.Just a thought.Sure wouldn't want to get a huge fine doing that.
Frank

This might be a good thread to plug my instant bourbon. Bourbon flavor crystals - just add water and ice.
Yuk.

That's sorta a good idea.I think some places still might think that is "littering" even though all will decompose in a quick fashion.Just a thought.Sure wouldn't want to get a huge fine doing that.
Frank
Completely agree! We prefer BLM land, and we ALWAYS bring out a grocery bag full of burned beer cans, pop/beer tabs, shell casing, milk jugs, broken glass, old car batteries, etc............

Mike

This week I got the Hario MSS-1B Mini Slim Mill, as recommended by highz.
Hario-MSS-1B.jpg

I tried it out at home this morning to fill my "4-cup" auto-drip maker: It works!
smile.gif

It doesn't take that long to grind, unlike what some of the whiners reviewed on Amazon.com. Kinda pushing it to grind enough in one batch for a 4-cup maker, but it'll be great to fill my Melita cone-filter for a 12-oz-mug-worth when camping, which is why I bought it. Now, instead of pre-grinding enough coffee beans before leaving for a week or more of camping, I can grind beans right before brewing, as I do at home, and as at home pretend to taste the difference!
wink.gif

I'll have to experiment a bit to get the grind right for a paper cone when camping. This morning I had to figure out "medium", as appropriate for my gold-screen basket filter.

I went to the Hario website and found a "how to" video -- very thorough...including how to "decompose" it for cleaning, and then how to uhh...recompose it.
(an aside: Why don't Asian companies hire one native-English speaker for one day to review their English-translation ad copy? Someone to tell them, "In English we say 'disassemble', not 'decompose'"? Maybe I should contact them...another possible source of post-retirement income?
cool.gif
)

Still using mine on a daily basis, and it's holding up well. I've never "decomposed" it. I'd better check out those instructions. I figure that the small amount of time and effort it takes to grind two cups worth is just good forearm exercise.

I figure that the small amount of time and effort it takes to grind two cups worth is just good forearm exercise.

Do you switch arms regularly to make sure you don't get unbalanced/asymmetrical?
blink.gif

Ok, this is one of my favourite threads. I thought I would try to revive it a little. Like everyone else I like my coffee and I have been experimenting. Clean up and simplicity is important to me.

Bye, Bye, French Press - I find them to be messy. And no more Keruig - Expensive.

This said it all tastes great with baileys :D

First: Starbucks instant coffee is outstanding! Fast and easy, especially when I am in rush during the morning hunt. I can dive in to better brewed cup upon returning to camp.

Second: The Miletta single filter with the little plastic drip basket (pour over system) that goes over my cup Fantastic taste, easy to make, and simple.

Finally: I tried the Aero Press and really liked it. It is reasonably priced and makes great coffee. Probably my favourite out of the three for great tasting coffee. Very very easy clean up.

I am using the Aero Press and the Miletta single basket at home and will likely use the Miletta pour over system in the FWC!!!

My 2 cents.

Also IMO,are fresh ground beans.
I have for the camper a blade grinder and grind them and use them.
I guess I am somewhat of a coffee snob,but I like a good cup of strong flavorful coffee.
I have an inverter and a couple seconds of grinding and I am good to go.
I use the European style espresso maker,and put a small filter over the grounds in the basket.
Makes a great cup for us.
Easy to clean up when cool just take apart and dump the grounds into the garbage bag.

Frank
PS yes the Starbucks instants are very good.

Folgers Coffee Singles. Tea bags with coffee instead of tea. Not gourmet, but hey, we are talking camping here. Fast, simple and no extra stuff to haul around and clean-up. Plus, you can fine tune the strength with how long you let it steep. Perfect every time for everyone.
BKj2NXU.jpg

I use a hand grinder and aeropress while camping. This with fresh roasted coffee makes a great cup at the campsite. I guess I'm kind of a coffee snob. I also roast my own beans. :eek:

Here's my travel kit - pic below...

Attachments

• IMG_0357-1.jpg
    IMG_0357-1.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 22
SmkSignals said:
I use a hand grinder and aeropress while camping. This with fresh roasted coffee makes a great cup at the campsite. I guess I'm kind of a coffee snob. I also roast my own beans. :eek:

Here's my travel kit -

attachment.php
Somehow your attachment didn't come through.
Would like to see that hand grinder.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Somehow your attachment didn't come through.
Would like to see that hand grinder.
Frank
Yes, I'd like to see, too. :unsure:

FWIW, this is the hand-grinder I'm using, as I posted a year ago, after following highz's recommendation.

After using it for a year (while camping -- I use a Capresso Infinity electric burr grinder at home) I'm happy to report that I still like it. :)
To be completely honest, I'm not sure that my palate is sophisticated enough to tell the difference between fresh-ground and several-days-previously-ground-&-properly-stored.
Then why bother?
It's not a bother -- I like the ritual of the process. :D It gives me something to do while the water is heating. Hand-grinding enough beans for 16 oz of coffee (at the proper strength of 2 Tablespoons per 6 oz cup of drip) takes a little less time than heating the water. It's a fine camping-morning ritual. :)

SmkSignals said:
That looks to be the exact same setup that I use. I roast my own beans, too, and I think Lighthawk has the same roaster that I have so there are a few of us snobs around. A freshly roasted and ground cup of coffee in the morning is one of life's little joys, but I confess I would drink instant, if that's all there was, just to get the caffeine fix...

Back
Top Bottom