The new coffee thread

Mark that's the same grinder I use at home also.I set mine to the 1st setting of extra fine.I have a Breville Ikon espresso machine and use Italian whole beans from Cost Plus.Makes a great cup for us and it is always consistent.
Out camping I use a Braun blade grinder,that way I don't over load the inverter. I just pack the beans in a sealed coffee container and grind the first "brew" the night before.Wake up in the morning,start the coffee and water,one of us makes that first trip to the "biffie" while the other watches the coffee, sit back and enjoy a fresh cup,than ready for what the day brings.
I sometimes make a second cup for the road which I place in the steel Stanley travel container.Stays hot for a very long time,but does get a bit of that acid flavor.
Hears to a good cup of coffee however you make it.
I think I am going to look into a small hand grinder like that.That would cut down on my "house" power usage.

Frank

Since coffee snobbery has been mentioned recently, I thought I'd repost a link to the website Coffee Review.
Reviews of coffee by these guys are every bit as esoteric as reviews of fine wines, with flavor/aroma notes "detected" that I'd never sense in a million years!

For example, describing "Ethiopia Ninety Plus Nekisse Red by Papa Lin's Coffee Roasting" ($65/12 oz):

Deep, complex, balanced yet extravagant. Ripe plum, honey, crisp roasted cacao nib, orchid-like flowers, a hint of sandalwood in aroma and cup. Delicate, quietly lively acidity; very silky mouthfeel. Flavor saturates a sweet, resonant finish.

Yeah, right...

MarkBC said:
Deep, complex, balanced yet extravagant. Ripe plum, honey, crisp roasted cacao nib, orchid-like flowers, a hint of sandalwood in aroma and cup. Delicate, quietly lively acidity; very silky mouthfeel. Flavor saturates a sweet, resonant finish.
Had me breathless, hanging on every word! :)

MarkBC said:
Since coffee snobbery has been mentioned recently, I thought I'd repost a link to the website Coffee Review.
Reviews of coffee by these guys are every bit as esoteric as reviews of fine wines, with flavor/aroma notes "detected" that I'd never sense in a million years!

For example, describing "Ethiopia Ninety Plus Nekisse Red by Papa Lin's Coffee Roasting" ($65/12 oz):

Yeah, right...
I was told by a wine maker/owner in Spain a few years ago that,the only reason you "taste" all that stuff is that they already have it in your mind that is what it will taste like.
Thought this made sense to us as this wine maker has some terrific wines,and should know.
Frank

:D :LOL: Thanks for the laugh, Mark.

The company I buy green beans from also has descriptions that are somewhat fanciful, and they even have two sets of descriptions based on the degree of roast. All I know is that freshly roasted and ground coffee tastes good.

Damnit, now I'm going to have to grab my electric grinder (its pretty small) and take it along on the next trip.

I'm an admitted coffee snob as well and I have to grind beans. Last week I forgot to check the camper coffee supply. The first morning was a big disappointment when there was just dust in the container. :( Took a while to get to a store but I did manage to buy a small plastic can of folgers for $8.20 in Dayville. Best coffee ever and is now the official camp coffee. haha!

MarkBC said:
Gotta admit, we like our fresh ground coffee, but I've NEVER tasted all this. What it all really "boils" down to is what'll get you going in the morning. For some, the ritual, for some the flavor, for some it's just the plain ol' caffeine. Whatever way works for your -- Enjoy, just don;t forget the coffee when you pack.

This morning I did a taste test. I made two cups of coffee. 1 cup with the Aero Press and another with the Melitta pour over system. I was as scientific as I could be. I tasted them both black ... and then added 1 tablespoon of baileys in each. I used a brand new bag of Nabob coffee.

They both tasted exactly the same.

Aero Press was more cumbersome and used twice as much coffee. And Good Coffee ain't cheap!

Mellitta Pour over is the winner from my perspective for great taste, uses less coffee, easy clean up, and very simple to make.

Ramblinman said:
This morning I did a taste test. I made two cups of coffee. 1 cup with the Aero Press and another with the Melitta pour over system. I was as scientific as I could be. I tasted them both black ... and then added 1 tablespoon of baileys in each. I used a brand new bag of Nabob coffee.

They both tasted exactly the same.

Aero Press was more cumbersome and used twice as much coffee.

Mellitta Pour over is the winner from my perspective for great taste, uses less coffee, easy clean up, and very simple to make.
Sure Ramblinman anything tastes better with Baileys!
Good to know.I used to use the pour over and it worked well.
Frank

The best way we've found to make coffee on the road was plagiarized from one of my CDory friends. Melita makes a #6 filter cone that fits into the neck of a Stanley thermos. We either grind beans at home, or buy some Peets or Starbucks ground French roast. Heat the water, put the filter into the thermos, pour the water, and enjoy. Very little mess, and the coffee stays hot.

We make it this way on the dory, and in the Airstream. It works nicely!

SeldomSeen said:
I moved from a french press to a pour over. I hated cleaning the press on the road. I recently transitioned to a hybrid pourover that I love, the clever dripper. You can steep it as long as you want in the filter basket. Once you place it on the rim of your mug, it begins the drip. I dig it. Here's where I got it.

http://prima-coffee.com/brewer/clever-coffee-dripper-abid
Pour over rules for convenience. My personal opinion is that the roast of the beans makes more difference to flavor than the way coffee is brewed.

4llamas said:
My personal opinion is that the roast of the beans makes more difference to flavor than the way coffee is brewed.
That is my opinion also.At home and out camping.
Remember think about the coffee you get out at, say a restaurant,where they may use some good coffee but seem to use less to brew it.
I have been using the coffee from the Cost Plus store chain and have had good consistent flavor with it.
I like strong,bold flavor so I get the Italian roast,which seems to be the darkest they carry.
As other things it's all to the preference of the person.
I know what I like and it may not be the same as other people.
Frank

Gormley Green said:
Te Aro Roasted is the only place for beans. Best in the world. From Toronto.

It may be my sister and brother-in-law's business, but that has nothing to do with it
tongue.gif

Seriously, they've turned me into a big time coffee snob.
Fantastic coffee! Haven't had it in over a year since I moved from Toronto to BC. Their roastery was at the end of my street (Heward & Queen) in Leslieville.

40+ years I've been drinking coffee with cream. I liked the brewing process and pretty sure I've tried every which way over the years. Pour over, has been my preferred method the last half dozen years or so.
New to me, I've been cold brewing last several weeks. What a difference and it's my new preferred method. Dropped the Moo juice too. Screws up the coffee flavors. LOL , Life is good but I'm setting here drinking a cup and wondering what else am I missing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom