4wheelColeman

Hello 4 Wheelers,
My name is Coleman, like the lanterns, and I just bought this 2005 Eagle Four Wheel Camper from a young chap in Oregon.
full

full

full

full

full

I bought it at an amazing price too. 6k! I picked it up this past weekend from Seattle in my trusty 2011 F-150 XLT. The Eagle is made for smaller trucks, but I didn't care. It cost 6k!!!! So I read that you can install the Eagle on a full-size truck; you need to build a platform. So, I built one with pallets and plywood, which works like a charm.

Note: I have never had a camper like this, and I am clueless about what is inside this magical aluminum box.

So, I opened it up when I got home and started running test. The first test was getting the power working. The battery below the seat was dead, but I learned that I could run an extension cord to the outside plug (shore power) and crank it up. I did that, and nothing happened. So I checked all the breakers and fuses, and they looked fine.
full

I had read that there is a fuse under IOTA power converter. So I pulled the fuse, and it was dead as a rat. So I installed a new one and turned on the breakers. Bam! Power was restored. My face was full of joy.
full

After the power worked, I started looking into the sink and tank. I noticed a funky old display with a monitor and pump button. Pressing the montior btn displayed that the tank was 3/4 full of water. So, I learned that you must pull on the handle several times and turn the pump on. Water started flowing into the sink and out the side of the camper. Big smile on my face. So, the pump works, and I'll have to sanitize the tank later.
full

Now it's time to test the stove. I opened all the windows and got the fire extinguisher ready. I turned on the gas, and it all looked good—no smell. I sprayed water and soap on all the connections, and everything looked sealed. I turned on the stove, and both burners worked. Big smiles.
full

Next was the heater. I read that it was an old Atwood furnace, and you just have to turn up the thermostat for it to start. It started and sounded like a freight train slamming into a building, so I immediately cut the power to shut it off. I could try to restore it but there is ton heating system that would be safer to use.
full

Next, I moved onto the fan but got nothing. I learned that I can buy a replacement fan (FAN-TASTIC VENT) and motor for $45 bucks on Amazon. I am going to try that and see if that fixes the problem. Note: I pulled out the old fan. :)

full

So my first task is to get power to the 12-volt system so I don't have to rely on shore power. I learned that I could use a portable power station like the PECRON E1500LFP station with 12v DC out and wire it using an XT60 cable straight to the 12v fuse box in the camper. This will give me power for my lights, fan, heater, etc.

For the heater, I found this sweet and very affordable 12v VEVOR Diesel Air Heater All-in-One. I am just going to rip out the older heater and place this in the area where the old fridge was located.

Regarding the weight of the truck, the back is not sagging, but I am looking to upgrade my shocks and install airbags to help.

Also, a big shoutout to the Four Wheel Camper company for posting all the old manuals on the website. That helped a ton.

Overall, I am thrilled with the purchase and looking forward to restoring the camper to its former glory. Thanks for your support and if you have any tips let me know. Cheers

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1637]

Hi Coleman, welcome to this wonderful group of benign crazy wanderers, and congratulations on your new to you Eagle. You got a great buy! If you need help with anything on the website, reach out to the members on of the site team. For camper related stuff, I think you’ve discovered the deep knowledge bank!

Coleman, welcome! We have a million tips, some of which are useful. Enjoy your new camper. FWC are a blast!

Coleman welcome to the group.Looks like you picked up a nice Eagle.
Lots of info here on the site.Also Stan at FWC and Marty at ATC can give additional help.
Enjoy your new rig.
Frank

Welcome and you got a great buy. Before you give up on the heater take a look for things like wasp nests etc. Critter like to hide in them. As to the power station, I don't think those are the way to go unless you're using it in multiple vehicles. Have you tried a new battery and seen what happens?

Thanks for the welcome. For many years, I have wanted a four-wheel camper, and I am finally happy to be a part of the club. In the past, I had a Smittybilt Overlander tent and then moved on to an iKamper 2.0 tent. The iKamper was stolen from the back of my truck. It was an awesome roof-top tent. My two boys were distraught after the theft. They are ecstatic now about the new setup. Cheers

Welcome, great find and buy, and thank you for sharing your smiles and excitement. You are doing a good job sleuthing out how things work. The Atwood furnaces are fairly simple and reliable when they work and you already have propane. If you go with the diesel heater, won't it fit in the area the Atwood was at? In regards to the fan, do you have power at the two wires in the roof? Many times the issue with the fan not working is the ground at the post for the lid.

Also, a 12V house battery is the simplest for power needs.

Continued good luck and are the boys helping you with the project? :)

4wheelColeman said:
Next, I moved onto the fan but got nothing. I learned that I can buy a replacement fan (FAN-TASTIC VENT) and motor for $45 bucks on Amazon. I am going to try that and see if that fixes the problem. Note: I pulled out the old fan. :)
since you have the fan out test the motor with some jumper wires off a battery (or 12v power source) to make sure its the fan being bad vs wiring/ground issue.

Also get yourself a cheap multimeter for trouble shooting electrical stuff. :)

I'll have to try that. Thanks

It's funny. I purchased a multimeter a couple of months ago, and I love it. I can't believe I went without one my whole life. I am curious how other people are using portable batteries like Goal Zero to power their 4WC. That's my next hurdle.

4wheelColeman said:
I'll have to try that. Thanks

It's funny. I purchased a multimeter a couple of months ago, and I love it. I can't believe I went without one my whole life. I am curious how other people are using portable batteries like Goal Zero to power their 4WC. That's my next hurdle.
I assume most of those have a 12V output connection, just put that type of connector on your two battery lead wires in the camper and plug it in. IMHO those goal zero type things are over priced but if you already have one then run what you brung.

And note the wire colours for the fan... mine were black and white, wired as per RV rules, not house rules... so Black is POSITVE. check that with a multimeter.

Vic Harder said:
And note the wire colours for the fan... mine were black and white, wired as per RV rules, not house rules... so Black is POSITVE. check that with a multimeter.
Technically either way works if just seeing if it spins, black = positive just means it's blowing out, white on the positive blows in. That is all those in/out switches do is reverse the wiring.

I have a similar FWC and needed to space it up to clear the bedsides. I would like all who need to do this to consider just going to your local hardware store and buy the blue or green (your favorite color) of ridged insulation in the thickness needed (or combine to correct thickness). Don't worry about the camper compressing the insulation, the unit load is very low as the camper floor disperses it evenly over the insulation, you will just end up with slight indentations.

This weighs only ounces. So you will get the job done and not add excessive weight to your vehicle that compromises climbing hills, stopping and your overall carrying capacity.

Then you could still use as insulation if you don't need it someday.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GreenGuard-GreenGuard-LG-2-X4-X-8-XPS-Insulation-Board/5001939777

62425925.jpg

Back
Top Bottom