the next rally?

Last October 18th or so I hit the North Rim main campground. All the facilities were closed on the 15th which made it much better :D The road was open and you could camp, we rolled right to a sight where if you fell over you could roll all the way to the river miles below, maybe not a good place for some members of this group :rolleyes: If headed to the National Park they close the road early, I believe there are also some nice FS camps by the rim that would cause vehicle damage to get to.

I would really like to start meeting you guys. And the North Rim sounds great to me from what I've heard in the past. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the rallies we have done and look forward to doing more. I'm just saying that all the rallies so far have involved some off roading and usually some enhancements to our paint jobs. There are a number of camper owners out there that don't have a 4wd or prefer to stick with good roads and campgrounds. I'm wondering if we are excluding a section of the group that may want to do a rally but a much more tame one.

Ted ... I'm of the belief that to truely Wander The West, one needs to get out and be able to explore the back country. :eek: With this in mind i am going to send U an information pack for the Good Sam's Club. :D

marc

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 196
Maybe TED meant by WTW ; Wander the Walmart?

2 wheel drive; free and all over the place with all of your expedition requirements. :LOL:

I am proud to say that I suffered no bodily injury and a minor case of self inflicted liver damage :cool:

Same here

Some invisible California pin stripes ;)

Based on the negative responses, an easy rally is not a good idea. Based on the lack of positive responses, all the FWC owners I see in campgrounds must be on RV.net. Rallies shall continue as they have been.

Based on the negative responses, an easy rally is not a good idea. Based on the lack of positive responses, all the FWC owners I see in campgrounds must be on RV.net. Rallies shall continue as they have been.

Ted, I think you need to have another glass of vino. This is just more of the same good-natured ribbing that has ensued on this site from day 1.

I'd also like to point out we have had a few "easy rallys". But the reality is when we go to a new area we don't always know what the roads are going to be like. We looked at the Warners maps we had, and specifically selected the roads that looked easier than those marked as "4wd" roads. In some areas this works out pretty well, but in other cases this tests the comfort level of some people. Another problem with the "easy rally" concept is that usually campgrounds are poor places for group meets as they can be crowded much of the time. We can't even guarantee a spot for everyone that shows up based on how full the CG is. So this is the paradox of the "rally" - how do we get a diverse group of people together for a few days, in an amazing area, and guarantee that there is plenty of room and fun for all? It's not easy but we do our best.

This is only a suggestion but since the majority wants to do the rally in the Sawtooths could we see if we can reserve a campground or a block of it in that area?

Stanley Lake comes to mind. There are 3 campgrounds there, all accessible by 4x2's. They usually close 2 of them after Labor Day. One year I was there the 3RD campground was full so they re-opened another one. I had the whole campground to myself!!!!

Fishing is good, small boat needed, or you could do sightseeing days trips.

Stanley Lake.

IM001898.jpg

DD and others,

I understood the replies were all in fun as always. But I do think you misunderstood my intent. I enjoy the way the rallies have gone and look forward to doing more off-road ones. I know I am a novice at off-roading and appreciate the opportunity to do roads with a group I wouldn't normally do solo. It builds my driving skills and confidence in myself and the vehicle.

But the Mrs. and I see a lot of people with campers like ours in state parks and national parks. We figured many of them are probably lurkers here but don't get involved because the typical member gatherings are not their cup of tea. I was trying to reach out to them. But based on the lack of interest, I would say there aren't many, if any, of these campers lurking.

Back to the main point of this thread, Sawtooths are out for us, but we will be in the Lassen area over Labor Day weekend.

I'd like to try to make one of these events. It sounds like my Baja pinstripes would fit in.
What time of year do you usually have them?

Going to have to put some thought into this. Something like DV where you can all meet up, easy driving, then one group does some tougher stuff while another driver the valley?

Btw, so far I've never engaged 4wd on a rally yet.

I'd like to try to make one of these events. It sounds like my Baja pinstripes would fit in.
What time of year do you usually have them?

We have had rallys in January, May, July - all over the calendar really. Keep an eye on this forum for announcements. Occasionally we announce them many months in advance while at other times there is only a few weeks notice.

But the Mrs. and I see a lot of people with campers like ours in state parks and national parks. We figured many of them are probably lurkers here but don't get involved because the typical member gatherings are not their cup of tea. I was trying to reach out to them. But based on the lack of interest, I would say there aren't many, if any, of these campers lurking.

Ted, my new best friend, do you think most normal campers still lurking at WtW would want to run the risk of truck damage, camper damage, liver damage, or brain damage associated with a typical members' gathering. I think not. When one adds in the chance of having DD turn their rig into the next TP-Camper, the numbers interested must drop to near zero.

Stew

I scored a nice full length pin strip on my passenger side last weekend while out scouting for elk. :p

Back
Top Bottom