The Old Fleet Just Keeps Going

robbie

Susan and I left Watson Lake on September 13 for a two week hunting trip on the Yukon/Northwest Territories border.
The drive out took us 9 hours to travel the 180 miles to our first camping spot. We camped at our first area for 6 days and had lots of rain. Then we moved 15 miles closer to the border and still more rain. There was some good weather though.
After another 4 days we started back, towards home. We parked by a mountan trail and went uop the next dsy with our ATVs/ We ran into a grizzly bear sow an dcub so decided to leave them alone.
All in all we were out for 14 days. The old 1981 Fleet on our Tacoma kept us warm and dry. We have never used the heater or water pump. I have added a pull out bed as the Fleet only has about a 2 foot overhang. We are short enough to sleep across the cab. I added a 3 foot slide out so we have lots of sleeping room..
Will post some pictures asap...
BTY I saw a FWC in town today.. Had a California plate,,

Robbie

I had to pass on three bull moose this year.
I was told we don't need the meat. We do have 1/2 of a moose in the 3 freezers we have along with 1 1/2 musk ox. I was on a a hunt at end of April., for musk ox. We got three between two of us. Also have about a quarter of Caribou and 100 pounds of salmon, halibut, and cod fillets from our trip to Alaska.

I am allowed to hunt for caribou in a couple of weeks though.

We are good for the winter...Still waiting for our first real frost of the year...

Robbie

robbie said:
Susan and I left Watson Lake on September 13 for a two week hunting trip on the Yukon/Northwest Territories border.
The drive out took us 9 hours to travel the 180 miles to our first camping spot. We camped at our first area for 6 days and had lots of rain. Then we moved 15 miles closer to the border and still more rain. There was some good weather though.
After another 4 days we started back, towards home. We parked by a mountan trail and went uop the next dsy with our ATVs/ We ran into a grizzly bear sow an dcub so decided to leave them alone.
All in all we were out for 14 days. The old 1981 Fleet on our Tacoma kept us warm and dry. We have never used the heater or water pump. I have added a pull out bed as the Fleet only has about a 2 foot overhang. We are short enough to sleep across the cab. I added a 3 foot slide out so we have lots of sleeping room..
Will post some pictures asap...
BTY I saw a FWC in town today.. Had a California plate,,

Robbie
I'm curious about the bed extension modification you mention. I bought a 1985 Fleet recently and have been wondering how I could extend the upper bed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

It's funny. I'm in the market for a FWC (new/used) and I turn my nose up at the 2004 models etc. because they don't have... this of that feature... but then... I look at some of the photos of the classics and I love them and the charm. I like the dated decor etc.

Like I said... funny.

I'm glad the old FWC is still providing enjoyment, keeping you high and dry and away from the bears.

I can't wait to see the photos of your adventure Robbie.

I will post some pictures.
As for the bed extension I added a 1 1/2 inch plywood strip on each side of the camper. Use as a slide out for 1/2 inch plywood bed base. The slide out stops before the stove so I can make coffee and leave the bed out for the day if we want.
Much like the new style I think..

Robbie

The moose I got Oct 2nd 2014
img_114044_0_df6e7ffe4fcabcc8c026ea9f3e07a4cf.jpg

Passed on the moose behind the bush but how Canadian eh moose in water and loons by the shore. Our old fleet was prked right by the water
img_114044_2_3fab7394ffac21eaf274c6dff5bcb6eb.jpg

Many of you will recognize this spot....
img_114044_4_1e675276ecfa065e916c846c82c6d41b.jpg

A visitor to our cabin. The bears have been visiting for over 20 years and never ruined anything. We made a deal with them.. Do no dmage and you are free to come and go.. There are 4 like this guy..
img_114044_6_77bb84073569fdc8a0a126edcf3d2e81.jpg

Our camp spot during our September hunt..
img_114044_8_2c4e9ec7249aedf349824a044cb879b3.jpg

A scenery shot on our hunt. Never get tired of looking at the country.

img_114044_10_07e1ef6be4d19150269b0ad04c5276e0.jpg

I passed on this moose.
img_114044_12_83c7e1185e3777031279ea11268b6e96.jpg

Ihave lots more pics but I don't want bore you..

4 months and we are off to Alaska for a fishing trip..

hard time waiting..

Goingwiht Chicobi Charters out of Pelican Alaska/ 3 full days fishing..

Robbie

Back
Top Bottom