The Owyhees

searching for nowhere

I'm leaving in a few days for the Owyhees. I'm going to focus the trip on the west side; I don't think I have enough time to travel the Mud Flat road over to the east and see the area around the Bruneau River. But??? Places I have identified to go include:
  • Succor Creek
  • Leslies Gulch
  • Jordan Craters
  • Birch Creek Ranch
  • Roman Pillars
  • Chalk Basin
  • Silver City
  • Three Forks
On a previous trip I went to the Owyhee reservoir, so I think I will skip that area on this trip. I will be pulling my little trailer (a.k.a. the boat anchor). I've had a axle flipped so it had good clearance, but it does take a lot to room to turn around. Once the trailer is unhitched I have the freedom of exploring with a 4 wheel drive pickup.

Any recommendations for places to go, hikes and camping spots would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you been to the city of rocks or the steens? The trees are going to be in full colors I think. I'm not sure whay you are seeking but the Leslie gulch area is petty amazing.

I've been to both areas, but haven't made it to the top of the Steens. One year I was too early and another year an early snow storm came through. Thanks for the reminder, I had tunnel vision only looking at the Owyhee's. If the snows hold off I can stop at the Steen on the way home.

I'm looking for anything interesting, with bonus points for cool rocks.

There's a campground near the bottom of one of the "Indian" gorges. If you hike into there and the trees are in color, it's amazing.

That sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to your report and pics !!

Since the Steens were brought up, I'll go a little Wester and (highly) recommend Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge in Oregon (Plush, OR). It's only about a mere 6 hours drive from Succor Creek State Recreation Area :D

It has two natural hot springs, free camping, lotsa wildlife, aspen groves.... It's lovely :)

I've been to Hart Mountain too. Nice place. I think I will most likely pass on this trip. I'm trying to stop flittering around on trips, jumping from one place to another. Stop hurrying, seeing only the highlights, then hurrying back to work. I want to slow down and adsorb a place and get to know it. OK, maybe I'll get bored. This will be a test.

On this trip I will have a real camera. I want better pictures, but I also thought a camera will make me slow down and study details of a place. I'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom