The Pandora Thread

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Since we sort of got started on music when paying our respects to Pete Seeger, I thought it might be interesting to see what people are listening to these days. I have a pretty broad spectrum of my likes, so the Pandora station list is somewhat long. The only genre that is not there is Crap (where the C is silent).

Right now, Tish Hinojosa seems to be my favorite station. Similar artists are Alison Krause, Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Brandi Carlile, Joni Harms (hometown girl) and Nancy Griffith.

I've also been listening to Ian Tyson (cowboy), who was half of the folk duo Ian and Sylvia, Led Kaapana, Greg Brown, Govi, Gram Parsons, George Winston, Bach, Pachabel, The Beatles, CSNY, Eva Cassidy, and a host of others.

What are you listening to these days?

This could be interesting... Looking at your list I must be a lot younger than you or maybe I just like to think I'm younger. ;)

I might wait to see what others post. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Since we sort of got started on music when paying our respects to Pete Seeger, I thought it might be interesting to see what people are listening to these days. I have a pretty broad spectrum of my likes, so the Pandora station list is somewhat long. The only genre that is not there is Crap (where the C is silent).

Right now, Tish Hinojosa seems to be my favorite station. Similar artists are Alison Krause, Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Brandi Carlile, Joni Harms (hometown girl) and Nancy Griffith.

I've also been listening to Ian Tyson (cowboy), who was half of the folk duo Ian and Sylvia, Led Kaapana, Greg Brown, Govi, Gram Parsons, George Winston, Bach, Pachabel, The Beatles, CSNY, Eva Cassidy, and a host of others.

What are you listening to these days?
Interesting list.
As another thought.We here on the central coast of Ca.and around the world via the net have the IMO greatest station in the world bar non.
KPIG out of Freedom,Ca.(Watsonville). This station is real radio and was the first station in the world to broadcast via the net.
Check them out KPIG.com.
They play all the people you mentioned and many,many more.
When we go away from home it's hard to find anything similar.
Frank

We're using Spotify, which costs $10/mo. We're doing that so we can listen to specific albums / artists, and have no obnoxious commercials. I used listen to Pandora, but the commercials drove me out.
It's very easy to build playlists with Spotify on the laptop or phone. Best of all, I can download any playlist to my phone, so we have music while traveling in areas without cell service.

They have a complete catalog of Blue Note Records, which is really fun to explore on the laptop. It's sorted by timeline with lots of liner note info on each artist. There's also another category that does most of the classical composers, which was great when Mom was visiting last summer.

What am I listening to lately? Elvis Costello and the Roots, Chris Isaac, Herbie Hancock, Aretha Franklin, Pink Martini, Dave Bruebeck, Cal Tjader, etc. There's other afrocuban music which appeals to my conga playing background.
Over the holidays I always enjoy Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Xmas).

Also, we have a great community radio station in Nevada City called KVMR 89.5 which plays a broad range from country to jazz and everything in between. KVMR is non-commercial radio, which is a dying breed in these days of Clear Channel domination, so I like to support them. They also sponsor the World Music Fest and Celtic Festival here at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, both of which are amazing and offer on site camping opportunities (hint, hint).

Lighthawk said:
They have a complete catalog of Blue Note Records, which is really fun to explore on the laptop.
This statement alone may have just sold me on it. I've downloaded the app but have yet to explore it. If you haven't heard it already I highly recommend Rollins' Choice (Blue Note Suggestions by Henry Rollins).

Also, we have a great community radio station in Nevada City called KVMR 89.5
I used to listen to their Hawaiian music section Sunday mornings. In between songs is the sound of surf and doves cooing. The next best thing to being there.

As to Pandora, my list is kind of scattered and maybe a little more mainstream. From the 80's, Yello, Alphaville, Joan Jett. Current bands are Florence and the Machine, Metric, Silversun Pickups, and Broken Bells. Then going back to the Islands, I have some Iz and slack key stuff.

SunMan said:
This statement alone may have just sold me on it. I've downloaded the app but have yet to explore it. If you haven't heard it already I highly recommend Rollins' Choice (Blue Note Suggestions by Henry Rollins).
Glad you're a jazzer, Sunni! The BlueNote is an app (they have over 100) that is part of Spotify Premium, which is the $10/month version.

Anyway, just tuned up Rollins Choice. Thanks!

When I lived in the bay area many years ago I listened to KFAT,"The brown spot on the dial", out of Gilroy.

Ted, like you, I'm a slack key fan. I lived in Hauula (Oahu) in the early '70s, and had neighbors that would cook and sing in the backyard. I've been collecting and listening ever since. It started with Gabby, and grew from there.

camelracer said:
When I lived in the bay area many years ago I listened to KFAT,"The brown spot on the dial", out of Gilroy.
Same people almost,just evolved over the years.
We feel lucky to have such a great station to listen to and it's still live.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom