The question is how wide to make it?

1tonpaulie

Contributors
I purchased a New Grandby and it will be delivered the middle of March. The question is I am putting this very nice camper on A Ford 1 ton dulley. I purchased the swing out bracket on the manual jacks. The inside measures 88". My truck is 96" wide at the dulleys. I need to get some extention plates made. Do yo think I should have 2 or 4 " of clearance on either side? I was wondering if anybody has ever done this. I have been thinking about this for a month. How long is to long?

Thanks Paulie

If you aren't going to leave the jacks on full time, I would make them as wide as you can for clearance loading the camper. Here is my setup but I think now, I would rather have not had the hinge piece and just had a solid jack extension. I think mine is 1/4 or 5/16 aluminum. I ordered it cut to size from http://www.venturametals.com/

Yesterday I called the dealer that I ordered my Grandby from, Sean Dempsey at Go Anywhere. I told him I wanted to
delete the swing brackets. I will never travel with the jacks attached to the camper. I went to my local steel warehouse
today. I picked up 2- 10"X 13"X 1/4" Aluminum plate. These should give me plenty of space between my dulley fenders and the jack legs. Thanks for everyone's insight!

Paulie

Here is how I made mine. rsz_p5020078.jpg

Just be really careful when loading & unloading the camper.

With the camper jacks extended that far, just a little twist can put alot of stress on the jack brackets / camper frame.

Most people don't have any problems, just don't bump it too hard when loading the camper on your truck.

It should work well for you.

Have fun with the new camper !

Happy Camping.

==========================================================================

Here is how I made mine. View attachment 8571

Wonton,
When loading /unloading on a not exactly level surface, the camper will try to "walk" . I use the plates that "Chnlisl" mentioned (very similar to what you had built). and when the walking occures, the alluminum plates seem to flex/bend an aweful lot.Maybe it's good that the aluminum plates are taking the stress and not the camper frame??dunno..This hasn't really been an issue for me, but I am very careful on my cranking rotation count.. just something to watch out for..

Good luck!

Wonton,
When loading /unloading on a not exactly level surface, the camper will try to "walk" . I use the plates that "Chnlisl" mentioned (very similar to what you had built). and when the walking occures, the alluminum plates seem to flex/bend an aweful lot.Maybe it's good that the aluminum plates are taking the stress and not the camper frame??dunno..This hasn't really been an issue for me, but I am very careful on my cranking rotation count.. just something to watch out for..

Good luck!

Same for us...we added about 6" steel 3/16"-thick extension plates to the front and if the surface isn't level...the plates will flex/twist. We use our wheel levelers to try to make a level surface when loading/unloading and raise only about 2 inches per jack at a time.

Back
Top Bottom