The SAE plug on top of FWC

steve whiteside

Hello everyone. Ive got a FourWheel camper and it comes with an SAE plug as part of the prewired solar. Im wondering how to protect that connection from wind and rain? If I plug in a mating connector it seems like it would be somewhat fragile to getting pulled out and if it rained it seems like the little SAE cup (on the roof) would fill up with water.

Any ideas? I guess I could wrap the whole thing in electrical tape.

Steve

If you're concerned, maybe you could cover the plug after it's connected, with a dab of sikaflex or 4200 that you could remove easily if you needed to disconnect. If you have access to the wires under the plug you could run them through a weaher proof j-box, mounted on the roof. Frankly, I've never had any issues with the SAE plug provided. It's been fine in all weather conditions.I would not use electrical tape. Don't think it would be a good solution to what probably isn't really a problem to begin with.

I simply rap a piece of electrical tape around it. I check it once a year and there has never been a problem in 5 years. It’s a simple and very adequate connection. Not sure how it could pull apart, the tape keeps it water tight.

I knocked the SAE plug while washing the camper. it was just enough to break the electrical connection but not look pulled out.

I replaced it with a MC4 connection. the solar panels come with MC4 connectors and the are very secure and water proof.

Great advice from all of you. Thanks some good solutions. To recap it seems like I might be envisioning a problem where none exists and if a problem does exist then there are some easy solutions! :)

On good thing with this thread is I was half expecting someone to say - Oh you need XXX connector that is water proof and fits with those SAE connector on the roof.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom