The story of the Bumper that could...

pvstoy

*UPDATED on post #12* The story of the Bumper that could...

This is the story of the little bumper that could, and might have saved our lives…

Most of you have read by now that I have bumper problems.

Back on September 25, 2008 driving at dark in Colorado on State Route 24 between Granite and Buena Vista we had a ~500 pound Cow Elk run into the front Renuel bumper. We saw Elk on the right and I was going ~62 mph and was slowing down to about 50 when I saw a Cow Elk head just before impact on the front drivers side bumper. After the impact the Cow Elk was sucked under the truck causing the truck to go airborne three times as it passed the front diff and tire, transfer case support and finally the rear Dana 60 and right tire.

A pickup truck with 4 men had caught up to me and was going to pass and saw the whole event unfold. They pulled over and asked if I needed a cell phone for a tow truck. To their surprise they did not see any damage and praised the Renuel bumper.

After crawling around with lights and not finding damages I decided to drive on and watch things. Seemed to drive fine and could see a slight vibration of the lights mounted on the bumper in the light beam. If we were in the 4-Runner it might have been totaled. We were very lucky it did not come over the hood.

The next day the engine developed a vacuum leak and I found the intake manifold had spit out because the shock made the engine go weird and stall. Returning home the intake manifold gasket was replaced.

We did not take the truck out of the garage for any trips since the return from Colorado. But now it was time to head off to Death Valley Rally. The bumper frame mounts that attach to the box frame was cracked from the impact of the Cow Elk. Further oscillation of the bumper up and down movement was just continuing the cracks further and further. I saw that the bumper was sagging a lot to the left and the tow hook was keeping the right side from completely flopping the whole thing down.

I decided I needed to take action and take the bumper off and put it in the camper. Boy did that take up the floor space. The box frame cross tube still has some meat in the back side and is keeping the leaf springs perches and frame apart.

At the present I will have a representative come look at the truck for the second time. First time was a world wind drive by shooting for pictures. The person did not communicate well to let me know what he really needed. They need to see all the pieces together. Well the bumper was dropped off at my fabricator. So now he will need to meet me at the bumper and I will drive the truck with the camper removed to the shop. First auto Insurance claim I have ever tried and so far not impressed. If they wanted to say no they might tell me this is not the bumper and engine that truck came with and it is an after market item. We will see how this goes.

After the impact the engine started leaking oil from the back of the intake manifold where the head, block and manifold comes together. I thought it was the gasket sealer had blown out some and would be fixed when the intake manifold gaskets were replaced. Well it still has a leak and after looking it over I believe it is the oil pressure port plug that is part way under the number 7 cylinder head end. I have decided to remove the intake manifold and the head to fix the oil leak properly. Would be nice to get rid of that leak! My insurance agent told me that all that is part of the accident and will be covered. Let you know how that goes.

Covered or not all this needs to be addressed and fixed. I don’t like selling anything without making it right. My fabricator has already made a plan and that involves making it better, stronger than when it was new.

I drove up to Renuel in Yuba City March of 1995, 14 years ago, and had this bumper custom made for the truck. It has served me well and looks good too.

The journey continues……………

Pictures of the time line from Death Valley...Took one from Ted's pictures(sitting in chairs) note sag to the right.

32.jpg

Attachments

• WTW-PV_034.JPG
    WTW-PV_034.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 601
  • 090121CG2_009.JPG
    090121CG2_009.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 596
  • 090128CG2_1071.JPG
    090128CG2_1071.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 592
  • 090128CG2_1083.JPG
    090128CG2_1083.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 590
I didn't see anywhere in that story that mentioned dining on tenderloins in honor of the battle your truck won... :p

Quite the saga. Bet you would never have guessed it would play out the way it did. That bumper has some history!

Bring It To The Hog Festival

I looked at the problem, I think it's about a 3 or 4 hr. fix, I think part of the problem is that the original mounts needed to be beefier to handle the weight of that Reunel.

I sure would like a Reunel bumper. They're only about an hour or so drive away too. I know if I hit anything its likely to total the truck. I need to get some lottery tickets.

Was there no way to hold it up? I know myself, my first inclination would have been looking at ratchet straps etc, to hold it on rather than yanking it.

Something to think about. In my Jeep if I'm doing hardcore wheeling I carry welding rod (along with all manner of spare parts, tools, nuts and bolts and odds and ends) so I could attempt a trail repair. I don't carry that stuff in the truck (well some tools always) but thinking maybe I should.

I looked at the problem, I think it's about a 3 or 4 hr. fix, I think part of the problem is that the original mounts needed to be beefier to handle the weight of that Reunel.

That is what we were thinking also. We are going to gusset the frame mount over to the spring side also. Spread the load bearing out and triangle out the support.

Are You Serious?

I have not used it, but have a friend who swears by Alumiweld

http://www.alumiweld.com/

You need a blowtorch, but since we all carry propane bottles anyway...

Well P.V. are you ready to give alumiweld a try? Maybe with some 3/8 stock,and a good mig machine.

Well....no...not yet. That is why I have a personal welder that can weld anything. (for a fee)

The bumper and mount is all steel and that would not have done it. There is no temp fix out there at Death Valley that was needed other than get the bumper off ASAP...

Guess if it was cracked more, than a bead could have helped.

Have a new person giving me a call on Monday to inspect....Well see.

Fisherman, How many times were you looking for your cat:D:D:D Like your new pic..

I Have One Too

His name is Miller, he lives here, we keep him around because we're so far from help. I've been saving that avatar for quite a while, it is by far my all time favorite.

Buckstop

Since i work in the oilfield and travel quite a bit i bought a buckstop outback model bumper for my 06 2500 HD work truck. Although (knock on wood) i have not hit a deer or elk with it i can say it is also bridge proof as well. Ie: 2 am...down hill icy...sliding...you can figure the rest of the story. So instead of having a totaled vehicle i had to replace the headlight bucket and support on the right side....once again proving the worth of a HD bumper....

I also tagged a cow elk back in 2005 in sunbeam colorado in the wee hours of the am heading back home from a job in wyoming. I was driving the 76 chalet and thanx to luck i faired pretty well. I will assume i got her slowed down to 3-40 mph at the time and as luck would have it the factory front bumper mounted spare tire carrier absorbed most of the impact resulting in sourcing a new grille and left side headlight bezel from my personal stash.

it never ceases to amaze me why deer and elk prefer the grass next to the road and not whats in the forest....

DW

*update*

*UPDATE*

Last week I picked up the truck at the shop and the bumper is back on better, stronger than new!!

The frame was re- aligned back to align the cracks back up. Beefier steal was welded back to tie the two frame rails together. Long angle channel was welded down the frame rails and brought out the front to support the bumper’s weight. All looks great and better than new. Renuel should have mounted it this way. Everything on the front end is put back together tonight. Just need to take it to get a four wheel alignment.

Insurance company has paid some and I’m waiting on a supplement billing check. I’m lucky to know the person that did the work and it’s done right. He only does business by private appointment. Just stunning work.

Rest of the truck:
Had a new air cleaner box made and need to attach the hose. Custom job at $400 it should look good!!
Took the vents off the hood and sanded and primed and painted.
Have replaced the camper's water line to the faucet with the proper type of hose that should be better.

Amazing how much time you can throw at something you are selling, BUT it makes me feel better to sell.

Air Cleaner

Took the truck to get the 4 wheel alignment and it was dead on. Goes to show how good the shop was getting the bumper and springs back to square. Awesome!

Some of you have seen under the hood of the truck at Death Valley. Well now it is clean and I had a new air cleaner housing made with a silicon boot. Just wanted to share the engine bay pictures.

Attachments

• CIMG4956.JPG
    CIMG4956.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,894
  • CIMG4959.JPG
    CIMG4959.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 2,879
  • CIMG4965.JPG
    CIMG4965.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 2,851
  • CIMG4972.JPG
    CIMG4972.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 2,883
Hey patrick
Was wondering if you had come to your senses ? :D:D

No not yet... I'm even including a brand new never used Ready Welder II to go with it.

Patrick - that engine bay is sweet:D It looks even fuller than my old '85 chevy with a 512ci caddie motor in it. That one only got 8mpg on the highway & 4mpg offroad - what kind of mileage do you get in the Toy loaded & on a trip?

I Don't Need To Know What Milage You Get

Who cares, when you have a motor like that. What I want to know, I think I see a conventional engine driven fan in there, but I'm not sure, or is it electric?

Loaded with camper...~14 to 15mpg. Have never tried it without the camper.

Yes, it is a fixed Flex-A-Lite 17 inch fan mounted to a short Corvette water pump.

Back
Top Bottom