The thanksgiving that wasn’t.

windy

We had big plans to head to Texas from White Salmon, WA to see family and friends for thanksgiving. The plan was to jet down as quickly as possible, get all the obligatory stuff out of the way and then wander around for a couple of weeks on our wayback home.

We left the Sunday before thanksgiving and made it to Twin Falls. From there we headed east on 84. Wyoming weather along 84 wasn’t looking very good so we headed south thru Price Canyon to Grand Junction, CO for the night. It was white knuckle 20-30mph for about 4 hours or so due to snow. For a brief while I couldn’t even see the road. I’m not normally a fan of following big rigs but was thankful there was one in front of me because that was the only way I could continue moving with any amount of confidence. Fortunately we make it to Grand Junction with no issues.

Because all the roads were closed to the east and south we decided to stay put for a day and see if road conditions would improve enough to continue on our way. 36 hours later the answer was NO. Not wanting to risk getting stranded somewhere we didn’t want to be we pulled the plug and headed west to Moab and then south to Flagstaff. Moab was great and the southwest corner of Utah really is spectacular. IMG_6255.JPG

Our next destination was Flagstaff but when we arrived we realized there was 2 feet of snow forecast for that night so we continued on to Phoenix and warmer weather. Being really tired, we cheated and got a room at the Embassy Suites. Sheer luxury was certainly appreciated that evening! Since we had never been to Joshua Tree we figured now was as good a time as any. We found a good spot near 29 Palms for a base camp and explored the area on our bikes for a couple of days. IMG_6320.jpgIMG_6322.jpgIMG_6324.jpgIMG_6328.jpgIMG_6329.jpgIMG_6332.jpgIMG_6335.jpgIMG_6342.jpgIMG_6350.jpgIMG_6356.JPGIMG_6354.jpg

Not wanting to gather any moss, we rolled on over to Morro Bay where we gorged ourselves on fresh seafood and then headed North on CA 1 for the next 2 1/2 days. IMG_6371.jpgIMG_6387.jpgIMG_6388.jpgIMG_6395.jpgIMG_6403.jpgIMG_6410.jpgIMG_6412.jpgIMG_6425.jpgIMG_6437.jpgIMG_6440.jpg

And then after 2 1/2 weeks we finally made it back home.

I guess it was a good thanksgiving after all!IMG_6443.jpg

My goodness, you covered a lot of territory! Good choices on dealing with the weather. We'd say that was a nice Thanksgiving. Thanks for letting us come along.

Whoa! Where'd you hit the Motherlode of 1950s/1960s Cornbinders? Love those old Internationals!

Foy

Deep in the NorCal Redwoods. Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park area.

Back
Top Bottom