The time is come

montana-moods

Advanced Member
We got the call and our FWC will be in Jackson Hole on April 2 ready to install the 3rd.
We remember clearly (+/-) the day when a popup first made it into our reality.
It was 2002 at Deschutes River State Park in Oregon and we were tent camping on our way back to Montana. It was early April and frosty, you know the morning when you hit the side of the tent and you get snowed on. Getting out of the bag was tough but needs must and the day began. In the campground was one other camper in a White (?) Toyota T-100 with a FWC on board. We introduced ourselves and got a tour of the camper. It was warm, it smelled like coffee and breakfast. We were in lust.
We know the day and year because I took pictures that day and I have all my slides in a database. So it was the morning of April 3rd 2002. It will be 12 years to the day from our first real sighting to the day we take delivery of our own. That strikes us as nothing short of amazing.
The kind and comfortable folks with the T-100 said they were from Bishop, CA if my memory serves. Any ideas on who that may be?

[SIZE=11pt]It's nice to be able to share our excitement with a group that can appreciate the feeling.[/SIZE]

Going from the tent to the pop-up camper is a learning experience (one we still keep learning every trip). What ever you do-make sure you have all the user manuals with you on that first trip and the dealers "help" phone number! You just can't remember it all and you can do what I did and not flick that switch below the frig that turned the fan on-yep wonered why my beer got warm and luckely I got thru to FWC and they put me straight! And what a the cut-off switch does and doen't do!-like pull it out when you charge the rig up before heading out for an adventure- a shore power vrs camper power sort of thing!

Smoke

It does sound like a learning experience on the shakedown cruise. Thanks Smoke for the tip on the manuals.

We plan to head towards Utah soon after we get back. San Rafael Swell is on the list, we are bringing the mountain bikes so Fruita CO and surrounding areas for a little outdoor riding. Maybe Arches and certainly some parts of Grand Staircase Escalante.
We have about a month and would be happy for any recommendations on special places to visit.

montana-moods said:
It does sound like a learning experience on the shakedown cruise. Thanks Smoke for the tip on the manuals.

We plan to head towards Utah soon after we get back. San Rafael Swell is on the list, we are bringing the mountain bikes so Fruita CO and surrounding areas for a little outdoor riding. Maybe Arches and certainly some parts of Grand Staircase Escalante.
We have about a month and would be happy for any recommendations on special places to visit.
If you are in the Bryce Cyn.area try Kodachrome St park.I think the campground is open year round. Great place nice and quiet. Scenery is very nice with some good trails and many views to take pictures of.
See my travel blog for canyons.
Have a great trip, The karma is with you.
Safe travels.
Frank

PS send pictures.

You sound pretty typical. Most all of us were tenters at one time. I remember camping at Dillon beach with the dog in my backpacking tent while it rained the entire time. My buddy had his pop up trailer. Warm dry and roomy versus cold wet and cramped. I don't miss those days :)

Big congrats on joining the FWC club.
Smoke makes a good comment to bring all your manuals. Our first trip we had issues with the Tstat and I was really glad I could read the manuals, while in a spot without phone access. The origin of our mistake was putting our 3-way fridge on DC, so our battery went flat, meaning the furnace wouldn't kick over.

If you visit Escalante, check out Sheffield Rd., between Boulder and Escalante.
It's a popular spot for boondock camping and has come great views.

You can hike down into Buckhorn Wash / Grand Wash? and access the famous Zebra slot from there.

Welcome to the club. We were tent camper in our youth (long time ago). Rented big RV's and just to much for us. Saw a FWC driving around on the back of a Tundra like mine. Started to look into them and found a Hawk. you will love the camper.

Bill

Thanks for the trip tips. I would like to visit the Zebra slot it looks amazing. Kodachrome State Park is also on the list as well as Coral Sands State Park. Hopefully it will be early enough to beat the large crowds.
We have spent more time in CA and AZ then Utah so this will be a great adventure.

Congratulations and welcome. Tent campers here also that wanted something more but not too much so you couldn't off the pavement. Travel well and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom