The Volcanic Tablelands - A Birthday Trip

Happy Birthday! Another Veterans Day birthday I'm familiar with.

As always, a fine write-up with excellent photography. Many thanks.

And 60 is the new 30, by the way.

Foy

Sad epilogue to this wonderful report:

http://www.sierrawave.net/15230/petroglyph-theft-case/

All the more reason to not publish the exact locations these treasures on the Internet.

That's terrible news. Some folks have posted directions online to a special petroglyph site near me (also on BLM land), which makes me nervous. I sent them an email...

A great TR as usual, Ski. Thanks for inviting us along on this special trip.

We did see evidence of vandalism on this trip. The road to one site had just been closed due to grafitti painted on the rocks. We hiked in to see the glyphs. It appeared the paint was directions to climbing rocks and not on the glyphs themselves. Still it confounds me as to what could make someone do this. At other locations there were bullet holes in the rocks on the glyphs (circled in photo). Don't know if they were recent or old, but WTH? :mad: Did not see any vandalism at Sky Rock.

gallery_176_163_163481.jpg

Just read a posting of this by a FB photography buddy. I am just really sad about this. We had planned, based on your TR to stop by there on our return or enroute April trip to AZ/NM. I guess there are others to see but what a terrible act against a culture. We like to stop at galen Rowell's photography gallery, also. I am hoping that the perps are caught but sounds like an organized group to me. Happy birthday.

Good trip report as usual Ski. I was 50 once, seems like a long time ago. I spent allot of time recording rock art and trying to protect same over the years and vandalism was always a major problem. It seems that some people can't resist using them as targets and yes they are very difficult to catch. You can't really protect most sites with fences and cops, and educational programs only goes so far! We used local vandalized rock art sites as part of the local school education program since the early 1980's-both as regular site visitsin the fall/spring and as a reward for good students. , we gave school talks and even worked to create several lesson plans for the 3rd and seventh grades that were used by the school district as a part of their education plan . Again we started this at the request of the local school district as a program about local history and used a local icon-rock art site /fishing hole as a test case. It still got shot (again) but we felt that it worked and I did it for 25 years until I retired.

Lot's of soul searching showing sites and things to the general public, but in truth they belong to them and we can only do so much to protect them without the public's help and support. In some ways you can understand dumb people using rock art as targets, but the ones who used saws to cut them out so they can sell them or dig up burials and bronze the skulls,were on my you know what list. I was in the first ARPA class for LE & Archaeologists in Marana AZ (cops and arks learning thingstogether), many moons ago-and even got to be an expert witness in a federal ARPA case-put him away too, anyway starting to hijack this thread, get me around a campfire sometime and in a few beers can tell you lot's of stories about aircraft, ARPA, patrols learning to work with LE and lot's of week ends doing lonely stakeouts!

Smoke

Great TR and happy birthday.

We love to spend time down in the Bishop area, usually climbing, but reading your TR makes me want to do some other exploring. We love rock art and petroglyphs, most of our southern Utah trips are centered around finding these gems.

Big FU to the vandal/thieves that would destroy this stuff. Another article here: http://www.modbee.com/2012/11/19/2462334/ancient-rock-carvings-stolen-in.html

Happy B-day 3pin! As for your age, soon you'll be getting your federal "geezer card"--not so bad! And thanks for the TR and pics.

Sad epilogue to this wonderful report:

http://www.sierrawave.net/15230/petroglyph-theft-case/

All the more reason to not publish the exact locations these treasures on the Internet.

I had several links to news articles in my email the last few days concerning this. The fines and imprisonment sentences are not high enough. Occasionally thieves like this do get caught but it takes a solid case and diligent work. It also takes us speaking out that this stuff actually matters to us.

I had several links to news articles in my email the last few days concerning this. The fines and imprisonment sentences are not high enough. Occasionally thieves like this do get caught but it takes a solid case and diligent work. It also takes us speaking out that this stuff actually matters to us.

Yep, as Sky notes, in all the years I spent chasing the bad guys (above this thread) , we only really sent one guy (in NECaNWNevada) to the slammer, and it was because he was stupid and was on probation when we got him again. He actually kept maps of the sites he was potting and we actually used his maps to tie him to sites that had been potted over the years-but again, in his own mind, he was not destroying sites like those that vandalize rock art, he really liked archaeology and artifacts, but believed it was his "right" to collect things and that the feds/state had no right to tell him what to do. Over the years we (the feds/state-sometimes) learned to work with with those who called themselves "amateur Arks" to both protect and identify ark sites and usually it was (or could be) a productive relationship. People like to look at rock art and ark sites and most would not knowingly destroy or damage them, but many sites have been "loved" to death! Again the public lands belong to you and without your help, they will be be destroyed! Sound like I'm still working!

Good example, using chalk to outline Painted Rock art so they can get a better picture-overtime it destroys the pictographs chemically-really. I don't know how many times I stopped arrow head hunters( including people I worked with) out and about collecting neat points and chips, but they don't realize that by "collecting" those things they destroy that picture of what took place at that area over time-and I come along and don't see anything and put the road in, and we put a road right through a major village site because the surface picture is gone. Look there is only so much stuff out there and once it is gone its gone! Take a picture, feel it but leave it-I know some one else will come along and take it, but sometimes we catch them-and warn them and sometimes put them away! It's hard to be a good steward of our public lands (when there are so many a-holes out there) and most of us on this site would not "knowingly" destroy our past, but it's so easy to do! Like mud driving in sensitive areas-fun, but it don't fix itself, unless we help.

Sorry, I'm preaching again, but was was so lucky to work where i did for so long, and now let's all enjoy our FWC's and this wonderful public land we have to play in!

Smoke!

Very sad. If you really wanted some to adorn your abode I imagine it would be relatively simple to to transfer some pictures onto clay or something like that. No need to deface the real thing. Of course these people are probably the same who think nothing of scamming the elderly, shooting signs and generally acting as if the world owes them something.

Some good news. SR spotted this and sent it to me at work.
Looks like they recovered the rock art, but haven't got the vandals yet.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/petroglyphs-stolen-from-eastern-sierra-site-recovered-.html

Yeh, but it never stops, I went to a Great Basin Ark meeting just after I retired and sat in on a paper by some irate young BLM ark-who was all upset about the pot hunters digging up his sites-and getting no support to stop it. Sounded just like me about 1980, and I'm sure some one in 1960 or 2010. I was in the first ark/cop training session on how to stop this stuff in 1981. I spent allot of time chasing and sometimes catching these people, but you can't stop it. My last appearance in a fed court as a archaeological expert for the govt put the guy away for the second time( a year in jail)-I mean he thought it was his right to take these things-and no fed or state government man was gonna tell him what to do! But I got in trouble-career wise-I may have been right, but to many waves were made, so what can you do-I still got my retirement. Can't bitch though, saw allot of great country, did some good things, and me and my dog and my fwc are still on the road enjoying the world! Go niners!

Smoke

Smoke, I just saw an advertisement for a new tv show about collectors scouring ghost towns. I was stunned. I can't see any good coming from this. Makes me wonder about who thought up this.

Lighthawk, thanks for posting the news. It breaks the heart that someone would do all this destructive work in the hope of a big pay off. Who would buy and hold and display an artifact like this?

Smoke, I just saw an advertisement for a new tv show about collectors scouring ghost towns. I was stunned. I can't see any good coming from this. Makes me wonder about who thought up this.

Yeh, reality tv at its worst. Once had a bad time when some one put out some info that a good stuff was out at an civil war era army check station (to make sure no rebs got into calif)where some troops died ; people with metal detectors were all over the place -out of no where , looking for the reported union army burials and historic associated remains in the area-but at the end of the war the army came and got and reburied the soldiers properly! We had to put a notice in several local newspapers that there was nothing there so stop coming out and looking for something that isn't there. I mean you don't disturb these areas, and we kept telling these people to go away. I'm a vet and you just don't do that for a button with a "US" stamped on even if there was something there!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom