Thermal Breaker Insulators

iowahiker

After looking at the FWC installation under the hood, I was not satisfied with two uncovered hot posts on the newly installed thermal breaker since all my Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles had every hot (positive) connection post covered. Wet leaves, pine needles and mechanics working under the hood could accidentally create a large arc and short circuit the battery. I screwed on two screw-type wire connectors, size 10-20 gauge wire one inch long, without modifying the thermal breaker studs.

gallery_5179_728_790187.jpg

I even developed a slogan to encourage good wiring under the hood: Remember to put rubber on hot posts before the sparks fly. :cautious:

I've been using rubber vacuum caps on those posts for years, but they don't last as long as those will.

Clever and appropriate. I've look at those bare posts whenever I open the hood and think I should do something. Now I've got a plan… if I just remember where I've got the wire nuts stored.

Great idea! I have several of those breakers in my bass boat. In my case I painted and color coded everthing with Liquid Electrical tape to insulate them. I may go back now and add wire nuts to them as well.

Back
Top Bottom