Thermal Pack install.

The thermal pack from FWC is long........
I tucked it in but it forms a "V" around the bungie. I checked and was told this was the correct length and another WTW member confirmed his was this long.

med_gallery_1903_342_133966.jpg

med_gallery_1903_342_9333.jpg

Thanks for the photo essay. I've been thinking about buying the Thermal Pack this year. It's not a necessity, but I've come to think it would sure be nice and not just for cold weather, but to reduce sun heating, as well. I don't think I could sew a substitute so have flirted with the concept of the Reflectix stuff, but that seems like a chore to have to set up each time.

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions.

• Are those little slots for the exiting bungee cord eyelets to poke through?
  • I realize you probably haven't used this much yet, but does it look like the windows work OK though it? I assume the openings in the insulation are large enough there is no problem lining up with the windows.
  • You said "the material is very thin when it arrives" - does that mean it puffs up a little bit when opened up?
  • Was the little roller included, or did you buy one yourself? Was it useful?

Thanks!

See blue for answers.
Bosque Bill said:
Thanks for the photo essay. I've been thinking about buying the Thermal Pack this year. It's not a necessity, but I've come to think it would sure be nice and not just for cold weather, but to reduce sun heating, as well. I don't think I could sew a substitute so have flirted with the concept of the Reflectix stuff, but that seems like a chore to have to set up each time.

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions.

• Are those little slots for the exiting bungee cord eyelets to poke through?
Yes the eyelets are to reach the "D" rings and hook the bungees
  • I realize you probably haven't used this much yet, but does it look like the windows work OK though it? I assume the openings in the insulation are large enough there is no problem lining up with the windows.
Windows not a problem to line up. We have not used, will use on our trip back east for the first time. The flaps open down same as the windows. Ski build his so they roll up. Not sure Ski's might be easier to use, but both will work.
  • You said "the material is very thin when it arrives" - does that mean it puffs up a little bit when opened up?
Does not puff much. I think most of the insulation is the air between the liner and thermal pack.
  • Was the little roller included, or did you buy one yourself? Was it useful?
This is a wallpaper seam roller I had. Just wanted to be sure the peel and stick velcro was down tight.

Thanks!

I followed these instructions and they were very helpful, so thank you! (I realize it's 5 years later and the OP may not be around; this post is primarily for others, anyhow).

Some minor tidbits from my experience:

• No need for a roller if you don't have one. Your thumb works just fine.
  • The slowest going is finding the holes to reinsert the screws after you've applied the velcro, even if you've marked them. I found reinstalling them one by one as I applied the velcro, so I had a visual of where to aim the awl, instead of applying the velcro and then reinserting all of the screws, made this part of the process much faster. I think there are seventeen screws on each side that need to be removed and then reinstalled. Even though I'd marked the screw placements with tape, it wasn't unusual to take 60-90 seconds jabbing at the velcro in the general vicinity of where the hole should be before I found the hole. By laying down the velcro and then immediately inserting the awl, I was able to cut about 15 minutes total time when applying the second side.
  • Maybe I'm slow, but total protect time was about 2 hours and fifteen minutes for me.
  • Don't do this on a hot day.
Overall, a very simple installation. I appreciated the detailed blog post.

Back
Top Bottom