Thermostat ideas?- want to switch to timer

fatpete

Hello everyone,

I switched out my factory thermostat to a programmable one, but it isn't giving me the results I expected. For starters, it won't operate under about 40'F. The other problem is since the FWC loses heat so fast in very cold conditions, it is constantly cycling on and off.

What I would like to do is wire a clock timer of some sort that will turn the heater on/off based on TIME, not TEMP. For example, I would like to set the timer to turn on the heater at midnight, then shut it off at 12:30. On again at 0430, off at 0600, etc.

Does anyone know if there are thermostats sold that do this? Or if there's a clock timer type device that can do this? The closest thing I can think of is a lawn sprinkler timer.

Thanks so much,
fatpete

Seems like just about any security timer would work except that those usually plug into a wall outlet and then the light (or whatever) plugs into it. Maybe it is possible to hardwire one inbetween the power source and thermostat?

You may be able to use a 12 volt digital programable timer.

Here's one on Ebay. I used "12 volt timer" as the search parameter.

Panel Mount Digital Timer with 8 program - 12 VDC
The above is from Australia (not much difference between AUD and USD).

Most of the rest that I saw, with just a quick look, seemed to be for industrial uses, i.e. DIN or other type of mounting, not panel mounting. 15 pages of 50 on each page. Some lower cost panel mount units from China, if that's your thing. Stay away from the wildgame feeder timer units as the time ON is usually no longer than a minute or two, often less.

You should know what amperage the heater will need, so to not exceed the timer's contact amperage rating.

Based on the On-Off times you listed, you are going to alternately Roast & Freeze all night long. Better to just get a -10 or 0 degree bag, then turn the heater off when you are snuggled down in bed. You should be able to reach the control from your bed. Then, just turn it on in the morning before you get out of your bag.

What you're looking for is a thermostat with adjustable hysteresis, the ability to adjust the temperature differential between heat on and heat off. There are a few commercial ones out there, and I've seen a few DIY projects if you have basic electronic skills. Do a google search on adjustable hysteresis thermostats and see what pops up.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. That's exactly what I was looking for, just didn't know the right name for it to start searching. I will get on it and post results of how it works.
@ Jon&Sue- those were just some random times I thought of while typing. What we do now is bundle up for the night and just reach over to fire it up before we get up. Was just looking for a more automated way- laziness I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom