Thermostat

captainphx

Didn't care for the stock FWC thermostat, so I installed a Honeywell one. After the first trip with it, I realized that it would be much better to have one that is backlit. So I returned it and got this one for a little more money, but well worth it.

IMG_1062.jpg

Didn't care for the stock FWC thermostat, so I installed a Honeywell one. After the first trip with it, I realized that it would be much better to have one that is backlit. So I returned it and got this one for a little more money, but well worth it.

View attachment 15441

This will be one of the best modifications you have done. Last year on our trip around the USA I found it nice to have the thermostat programed to come on 15 min before we wanted to get up. Camper was toasty when we got out of the bed. :D

This will be one of the best modifications you have done. Last year on our trip around the USA I found it nice to have the thermostat programed to come on 15 min before we wanted to get up. Camper was toasty when we got out of the bed. :D

This one is actually non programmable. We just set the temp to somewhere between 50-55.

Has anyone seen/know-of a compatible thermostat that has a really-low minimum set-point -- something lower than 50°?

Ideally, I'd like something that I could set to keep the camper interior above freezing -- maybe 40 - 45F -- if/when I was away from the camper for a while...

View attachment 15441

Where? How Much? Easy to wire?
Thanks

Has anyone seen/know-of a compatible thermostat that has a really-low minimum set-point -- something lower than 50°?

Ideally, I'd like something that I could set to keep the camper interior above freezing -- maybe 40 - 45F -- if/when I was away from the camper for a while...

I think Barking Spider's goes down to 45°. Got it at Home Depot. I'll try to take a look next time he stops by. Gosh, I wonder how low ours goes. I'll look.

I think Barking Spider's goes down to 45°. Got it at Home Depot. I'll try to take a look next time he stops by. Gosh, I wonder how low ours goes. I'll look.

Just checked mine…it sets down to 40.

IMG_1073.jpg

I installed a cheap $24 Honeywell before our last trip, best and easiest mod I've done to the camper.

One issue we seem to have with our furnace though is periodically it needs to be reset. thus far it's only happened at night, wake up to hear a slight buzzing sound coming from the furnace and a flashing red light. Need to pull off the front cover and hit the reset button. We'll go days with the thermo set at the same temp and no problems then we'll have the problem. No idea what the issue is. Any ideas collective?

We have a cheep digital from Wally World, about $25. The low for heating on it is 45. We set it there at night.

LT Traveler, haven't heard about that one before. I'll be watching to see what others can advise.

Based on this review, I ordered one and installed it this weekend. About 15 minutes or so to do. I tested to make sure it turned on/off the heater which it did. Will be testing it in the field this coming weekend in Death Valley. Bringing the old one, just in case. :)

Based on this review, I ordered one and installed it this weekend. About 15 minutes or so to do. I tested to make sure it turned on/off the heater which it did. Will be testing it in the field this coming weekend in Death Valley. Bringing the old one, just in case. :)

Hope it works out for you. Like to hear what you think after your trip.

Okay, just got back from a 4 day trip in Death Valley. Had a great trip!!! Thoughts on the t-stat. It definitely had a much better control on temps. It would come on at 1 degree below the set temp and turn off at about 2 degrees over the set temp (I have another thermometer inside). Much better than the standard mechanical one.

Now to the problem I had. On the first and third nights, I would turn on the heat setting. The fan would start running for the 10 seconds or so before the burner would normally kick on. Instead, the fan would turn off and not even try to fire the burner. I cycled the t-stat on and off a few times and then it would work correctly and in turn work all night just fine. The second night it worked exactly as it should.

No idea what is causing this issue but it makes me less than confident in this unit. I unfortunately forgot the original one as a backup. Luckily it worked in the end.

Any thoughts or anyone else have this problem?

Nope. I've had that happen on mine before. Hasn't done it in some time. I thought it was cold related the first time but now I don't think so.

It sounds like your system is shutting down due to no gas getting to the furnace. I wouldn't blame the thermostat just yet. The only time this has happened to me was in colder temps. I finally thought about a gas/air in the line issue. I loosened the main fitting to the propane tank thinking there may be an air pocket. I then screwed the line back onto the propane tank and the furnace worked fine. This has only happened to me twice and what I tried solved the issue both times.

Hope this helps!

Good Camping,
Paul

I might buy into that answer outside of the fact that I have had zero problems when it was the orignal Suburban mechanical t-stat. We used it in much colder weather than this past weekend (which really only got into the mid 40's. Heat was nice but not really needed). I also always fire up the stove and the water heater long before the heater is being used, so likely air has been purged.

I had the same problem with my Honeywell digital thermostat not working properly below 40 deg. Fan would come on but wouldn't ignite the burner. I called Honywell and they told me they are not designed to work below 40 deg. I have gone back to my mech style and I now have heat when it is in the 20's and 30's. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom