Things happen for a reason

llavaseur

Advanced Member
Last summer I had my heart set on purchasing a Outfitter Apex 9.5 I found locally on Craigslist but things didn't work out due to incompatibility with the camper and the size of my tailgate opening. I spent the rest of the summer and fall camping in my 1999 suburban and reading truck camper forums learning about what is available these days.

I started reading on WTW about the Four Wheel Grandby Shell and the more I read the more I realized that this was exactly what I needed. I have had other popup campers and a popup truck camper (skamper) that were pretty much loaded in the past and basically used them for no more than a place to sleep at the end of the day, I would bring along a 7 gallon water container and an ice cooler rather than utilize the built in water system and fridge, in my opinion this kept things simple. My style of camping is more about traveling and exploring and at the end of the day seek out a state forest campground or a spot in the woods to camp for the night, I never plan in advance.

Late last fall I ordered the Grandby Shell and took delivery in early January everything went smooth right down to the delivery to Michigan where I live and the initial install in the local Walmart parking lot :p. This of course was just in time to put it in storage and wait out the long winter that followed.

Fast forward to present, I have had the chance to take the camper out 2 times so far this spring and I love it. Not only is it 1000 LBS lighter than the Outfitter would have been, the simplicity is awesome, no Crank up mechanism to deal with, no zippers on windows or canvas to fight and to me one of the best things is no ugly, expensive, external tie downs. As you all know I can setup or break camp in 5 minutes or less and be on the road. I had the camper built with the front folding couch/bed, furnace, single battery and 2 burner stove. I have used the furnace both weekends so far and after running it all night the battery has only lost .4 volts per night. I never spend more than one night in the same spot so my battery recharges while traveling the next day.

This camper is perfect for my needs and just like my Topic Title says things happen for a reason, I am so glad I wasn't able to purchase the older outfitter because it was way bigger, heavier and had way more options than I need and would have utilized.

Previous 8' Skamper.

Apex 9.5 that I didn't purchase.

Four Wheel Grandby Shell That I Love.

Congrats!

Any pics of the front folding couch,bed?

Edit: Nevermind ... I found an older thread with pics.

Here are two pictures of the front mounted couch, shows how you can tuck the cushions under the back whil in the couch position and in the full bed position.

"Four Wheel Grandby Shell That I Love"
Good picture title.
I get the impression that your smitten with that thang.
Good for you, I'm smitten and I don't even own one yet.
Happy Camping.
Congrats too.

Back
Top Bottom