Think I'll stay home

craig333

Riley's Human
I got the truck ready to go out again but looking at this map I think maybe its time to sit tight.

The lightning storms over the weekend were incredible. We felt like we were back in the Rocky Mountains. The smoke here is stifling, oppressive. Unfortunately, we have a few more months ahead of us.

A nice coating of ash all over everything. I'll take that over losing my house. Amazing how fast things change. I left the house and everything was (sort of) fine. Turn the radio on and they're talking about 50 homes lost :(

Same here. The smoke has been bad, apparently from the Beach Fire near Mono Lake.

We can barely see the mountains, about 15 miles away.

We have been extremely lucky up here in BC this year. As opposed to years past where it felt we were completely on fire. Well, we were extremely lucky here at home up until a couple days ago, when this thing sparked off. Our fire crews are doing such a fantastic job on this, they are really to be commended for choosing the profession they did. We are expecting high winds from the South later this afternoon, which could push it into city limits. Fingers crossed it does not come to fruition.

117723095_10157125079121637_933954685140519072_o.jpg

Now we have new evacuations near Quincy and Groveland. Firefighters can't catch a break.

Best of luck to those living near the fires.

The smoke is a pain in the butt and throat, but we are grateful we are pretty safe here.

We're out here thinking about you and hoping for the best outcome.

Cough cough, cough! I had to turn around and come back home early today because the smoke got to thick and unhealthy to continue my morning dog walk! Yep, things are getting pretty bad these days, when you can't go anywhere, not even up your own hill, because of the fires and smoke to walk your dog! Outlook here is not to good, hot, smokey and windy for the next few days, and while the North (Sheep) fire is still slowly advancing, there are no new evacuations and they are shifting fire crews from other nearby fires here as they control them, The major worry here and a bouts is more thunder and lightning storms are predicted for Sunday and Monday-hopefully more rain than lightning! Yep, unless thing change, me thinks I'll stay here in Susanville and wait for that break out to somewhere sometime in the future. County just posted unhealthy air alert,back inside again!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Cough cough, cough! I had to turn around and come back home early today because the smoke got to thick and unhealthy to continue my morning dog walk! Yep, things are getting pretty bad these days, when you can't go anywhere, not even up your own hill, because of the fires and smoke to walk your dog! Outlook here is not to good, hot, smokey and windy for the next few days, and while the North (Sheep) fire is still slowly advancing, there are no new evacuations and they are shifting fire crews from other nearby fires here as they control them, The major worry here and a bouts is more thunder and lightning storms are predicted for Sunday and Monday-hopefully more rain than lightning! Yep, unless thing change, me thinks I'll stay here in Susanville and wait for that break out to somewhere sometime in the future. County just posted unhealthy air alert,back inside again!

Smoke
Hang in there Don!

We had the return of the marine layer (fog) over the night.
I think it helped a bit.Smoke wasn't too bad until the fog lifted
and there was the smoke hiding above the fog.
Yuck we have all windows closed ,thankful the temps aren't too bad .
The house is comfortable,have a little fan to move some air around.

What a time we are living through.
Stay safe.
Frank

I'm listening to the docs advice to stay indoors. Its pretty bad today. Makes me wonder if seven seasons as a firefighter did any long term damage.

Hard to get up to date information. Yubanet hasn't even listed the moc fire yet. Most of my best info is coming via the ham radio.

The smoke is so bad I expect to see ravens fall out of the sky. Gave a passing idea to a little hike and casting a fly over golden trout. Nope.

Today we can see blue sky and sunshine. AQI has dropped from purple to red to orange to yellow. It's been so bad we are now celebrating having "moderate" air quality. The Lady took 2 girl friends hiking into a high country lake off of highway 88 yesterday - proper social distancing, masks, and drove separate - and they did not want to come home. It was so nice, not great but so much better than it has been.

Thanks to everyone who is staying home for Labor Day Weekend.

Julie & I drove down from Carson Pass today, mid afternoon. The holiday migration is in full swing. We've learned that the new american dream is owning - or making payments on - a huge 3/4 or 1 ton diesel 4x4 pickup, crew cab long bed, jack it up high, add big tires, and tow a three axle trailer. Best part is drive it all like a sport car and pass in no passing zones.

Happy to have survived and we're happy at home. Our local Safeway has not been able to keep up with the demand from all the tourists this season. No milk, no orange juice for us. Beer trucks are lined up off loading as are Frito-Lay trucks. Two items we do not use.

We've determined that the majority of people are afraid of the outdoors and only feel comfortable bringing the city with them into the woods. And, kids have no character or backbone anymore because they've never slept on the ground.

+1 Ski. (sometimes the bigger the truck jacked up you'll find the shorter the male driving it ;))

Staying home.

If weather air quality is good tomorrow I'll volunteer at trail building site at South Lake Tahoe. If not just stay home. The heat and the bad air from the fires have keep us indoors being in that sensitive to bad air group.

I did drive up from Carson City to South Lake Tahoe Tuesday and Thursday. Last time I drove was August 8th. The biggest thing I noticed was the large volume of tourist traffic was gone. Massive amount of cars parking along highway 50 is gone. It was nice.

My local store is finally fully restocked with toilet paper and hand sanitizer (and all the rest). I'm probably headed out in the morning. Its gonna suck but I know some spots that should be empty even this weekend. I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never.

What a horrible disease dementia (in all its forms) is. I think its only a matter of weeks before my mom won't recognize me.

I'd like to do a couple of SOTA activations on the way. Leviathan is on the list. Hope its not too crowded.

craig333 said:
--snip--
I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never.

What a horrible disease dementia (in all its forms) is. I think its only a matter of weeks before my mom won't recognize me.
--snip
Sorry to hear of the situation with your Mom. We're in a similar situation with my wife's Mom. You are correct about it being horrible. Our situation is not as far along as yours. We just take it a day at a time.
So many things conspiring to keep us from camping this year. We do take her along with us when we go. She as always enjoyed camping so she likes going along although she asks frequently where we are and where we are going and why.

Wish you the best.
Paul

Was going to head up to the mountains to work on the cabin. Let’s see:
  • High heat warning
  • Unhealthful air
  • Expected influx of tourists, especially in neighboring community where chamber of commerce & city council have openly disregarded state orders since March.
Uh...I’m thinking next weekend might be a better bet.

craig333 said:
My local store is finally fully restocked with toilet paper and hand sanitizer (and all the rest). I'm probably headed out in the morning. Its gonna suck but I know some spots that should be empty even this weekend. I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never.

I'd like to do a couple of SOTA activations on the way. Leviathan is on the list. Hope its not too crowded.
We are sorry to hear about your Mom also, Craig. We went through it with Julie's Mom and it is so devastating and heartbreaking................

Our best to you and your family!

Back
Top Bottom