Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

billharr

With the grand daughters getting older and just about ready to go camping I am thinking about a true double cab truck next year. My 2005 Tundra Access Cab will be 10 years old next year and I will be 65. May be time for a new or newer truck. I like the Chevy 2500HD's, I only need my 4x4 a couple of times a year so I will get a 4x4 again. Needing 4x4 and not having it can make for a long day. I know I will have to put a Chevy notch in the Hawk if I get a 2500HD but not a problem. My 2005 Tundra only has 57,000 miles and 8,000 was on one trip, so the truck will manly be used for camping. Looking at gas not diesel, I just don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

So looking for opinions what would you would buy new or used? I have no problem with a low mileage late model truck. A new truck looks like it will cost more than I paid for my first house. (could not write a check for the house I can now for the truck) What brand truck do you prefer and why?

Bill

You mentioned 2500s. I'm finding that there's only a few thousand dollars difference between new trucks and ones (from a dealer) that are 2-4 years old with 30k-40k miles on them. For that extra bit of cash, you can get the full warranty, dealer services, better selection, etc. New trucks come with lower finance rates, closing that gap even more.

Re: paying cash, if you can finance at a lower rate than your investments are earning, paying cash can actually cost you money. Taking a low rate loan may be a better financial decision dollarwise, plus build/maintain your credit...all while closing the price gap between new and used to the point where a new truck *actually* costs only slightly more than a used one. (Some people just don't like to carry debt, and that's fine too...no argument here.)

So the math is close enough that I end up looking at as many new trucks as used ones. There's not a big selection of used 3/4-ton private sales in my area, except for beat up work trucks. I keep my eye on craigslist and such but it doesn't look promising. I'm taking it slow and waiting for the right one to pop up...no rush here.

My non-expert opinion on brand - doesn't matter. Each brand has slightly different features that appeal to different users, but they all have their share of dedicated customers and haters. I tend to stay away from new (unproven) designs but other than that, I'm just waiting for a good value.

I don't think there is a bad truck out there. Really just depends on what your personal preferences are. I'm a Ford guy and they are hard to beat for room. I think their interiors have the most volume at least that is how it feels to me. I've been in and around all 3 and the Ford is a bigger truck. That is both good and bad however. I've had great luck with all of the fords I've owned and I've had many. Dodge would be my next choice.

JJ1 is spot on with his advice and I agree 100% with his thoughts. I usually buy used but it depends on what I'm looking for. As I found out when I bought my jeep, it was only a few grand more to get new with all of the warranty.

I'd go and look at all 3 brands, all new. Decide what you like and what the cost of a new one is. Then look around at used and see if you can find a good enough deal or if a used one has the accessories you want. I'd guess you could score a good deal on a 14 model year with some looking around and willingness to travel. my 2 cents...

Bill, I just bought a new 2014 F350 Crew Cab. The end of model year discount was deep enough to make it worth while. Although I went for new, I have purchased used in the past. I do prefer new, as any defects in the vehicle are either under warranty, or those I put into it, not something a previous owner did and didn't disclose.

I drove all of the big three 1 tons, and felt that the Ford had the nicest ride. The Dodge seemed to be the harshest. I am a Ford guy, but would be willing to change to another brand if there was a compelling reason. I just didn't see one, plus Ford didn't take a bailout from Uncle Sam.

Like River Runner said, drive them all to find which suites you best. Year end discounts are attractive now. If you think that you will pull a travel trailer in the future, you might consider a diesel. The difference in pulling power and mileage under load makes it worth while if you plan to keep the vehicle for a veeeeeerrrry long time.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Steve

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I drove all of the big three 1 tons, and felt that the Ford had the nicest ride. The Dodge seemed to be the harshest. I am a Ford guy, but would be willing to change to another brand if there was a compelling reason. I just didn't see one, plus Ford didn't take a bailout from Uncle Sam.
Like Steve said he's a Ford guy I'm a Chevy guy but also drove all the big three 1 tons and thought the Chevy was the best ride. I don't think you can go wrong with either one and it almost always boils done to your predetermined lean absent a compelling difference to go against it.

What is this "Chevy notch in the Hawk" you speak of?
Also when it comes time to get rid of that POS Tundra ;) I know a guy Named idahoron, that might be interested. Keep me in mind when the time comes.

billharr said:
With the grand daughters getting older and just about ready to go camping I am thinking about a true double cab truck next year. My 2005 Tundra Access Cab will be 10 years old next year and I will be 65. May be time for a new or newer truck. I like the Chevy 2500HD's, I only need my 4x4 a couple of times a year so I will get a 4x4 again. Needing 4x4 and not having it can make for a long day. I know I will have to put a Chevy notch in the Hawk if I get a 2500HD but not a problem. My 2005 Tundra only has 57,000 miles and 8,000 was on one trip, so the truck will manly be used for camping. Looking at gas not diesel, I just don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

So looking for opinions what would you would buy new or used? I have no problem with a low mileage late model truck. A new truck looks like it will cost more than I paid for my first house. (could not write a check for the house I can now for the truck) What brand truck do you prefer and why?

Bill
BILL for kicks I would go take a look at the Canyon/Colorado. Given they are not too different than the Tundra, but have a higher capacity rating. Also very modern more car like safety structure. It wont be a big full size but probably worth a look to get ideas.

Bill, here's something to keep in mind.

I went down to my local tire shop to buy chains for the new truck. The shop manager asked to see my owner's manual. When we checked, Ford said not to use chains with 20' tires. Not what I expected!

So, I've called the dealer and told them I want an exchange for equivalent 18' wheels and tires. There is an alternative, a traction device called a tire sock. A bit more expensive than chains, reported to do a very good job, not as durable, but it's an option. I don't really want to be in a position where I need to use chains, but if I am, I want chains.

So, the moral of the story... Ask if chains can be used on the tires you're getting.

BTW, the tire store says that roughly 2/3s of all new cars can't use chains.

idahoron said:
What is this "Chevy notch in the Hawk" you speak of?
Also when it comes time to get rid of that POS Tundra ;) I know a guy Named idahoron, that might be interested. Keep me in mind when the time comes.
Idahoron is on to something ... Unless you are independently wealthy ... Your tundra is a great truck with lots of mileage left on it.

Ramblinman said:
Idahoron is on to something ... Unless you are independently wealthy ... Your tundra is a great truck with lots of mileage left on it.
No question there are a lot of good miles left in my Tundra. Just looking for some extra room for the grand kids. All vehicles hit a point where there value drops to the point you might as well drive them until they die. That is how I have driven most of mine, before my 2005 Tundra I had a 1977 Blazer. But the Tundra has a fair resale value and I did save enough to be comfortable (not independently wealthy). If you max out your 401K over 30 years and make a few good investments you do reach a point you do not save anymore, it is time to spend a little of it.

Ramblinman said:
Does anyone fancy the new Power Wagon?
Not for campers.
It is designed for off road and has soft springs with a payload rating of only 1,490 pounds.

My empty dry Hawk and me would be over that....loaded at the scales I am at around 2,000 pounds.
My 2500 is rated at around 3,000 pounds and I assume a regular Ram 3/4 ton would be in the same ball park.

Bill here is a link for compraision test of the big three HD trucks:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/2015-heavy-duty-truck-comparison.html

Bill, I can tell you my purchase of the new Ford F250 Lariat was a good choice for my Hawk. Gas motor gets fair mileage so far, getting better on every trip. This last trip, I was getting more than a half a mile per gallon since the Meadow Lake Rally. Better than my F150. I would hate to have to modify my camper to fit into the bed of any truck. My friend with a Lance Camper had to modify his bed to fit his camper. Some people add plywood under the camper to fix the problem, this adds problems with camper fit and movement. Just my two cents worth. Good luck on your truck find.

Jim

Went and drove a 2015 2500hd Z71 today. It is a BIG truck compared to my 2005 Tundra. Like the space inside not sure I like the BIG part of it. Whole lot of Technology and Stuff, trucks have changed a lot in 10 years.

billharr said:
Went and drove a 2015 2500hd Z71 today. It is a BIG truck compared to my 2005 Tundra. Like the space inside not sure I like the BIG part of it. Whole lot of Technology and Stuff, trucks have changed a lot in 10 years.
Bill, yes they are big! Yes they have a lot more technology! Best of all, they are so much more comfortable to drive!! You'll get used to 'big'.

billharr said:
My wife drives a Subrar Outback and before that a RAV4 we still have. Our 3500 HD replaced a Nisson Titan. My wife loves driving the 3500 with the camper loaded. As Steve said, you'll get used to big and pretty quickly.

JHa6av8r said:
My wife drives a Subrar Outback and before that a RAV4 we still have. Our 3500 HD replaced a Nisson Titan. My wife loves driving the 3500 with the camper loaded. As Steve said, you'll get used to big and pretty quickly.
My only thought is where or what type of places you like to go. I grew up with the full size and alaskan camper type deal. There were places we couldnt go that are places my dad and I really like going to today. Especially with the crazy crowds that can take over easy to access places.

I cant see my self going full size ever again just due to the limitations you face such as parking in busy towns while exploring on foot and reaching those really great out of the way spots. However if all your doing is big highway miles and roomy locations no argument the big full size rigs are very nice.

CALIcamperdad said:
My only thought is where or what type of places you like to go. I grew up with the full size and alaskan camper type deal. There were places we couldnt go that are places my dad and I really like going to today. Especially with the crazy crowds that can take over easy to access places.

I cant see my self going full size ever again just due to the limitations you face such as parking in busy towns while exploring on foot and reaching those really great out of the way spots. However if all your doing is big highway miles and roomy locations no argument the big full size rigs are very nice.
Find the video on here of the full size trucks w/ pop-up campers loaded going over Mengel Pass I believe it was. I have some trail pin-stripping.

CALIcamperdad said:
What?

I have had a Jeep CJ5, a Scout and a Blazer and I can go to about 98% of the places I used to go in my full size truck with a Hawk. The remaining 2% I probably shouldn't have attempted anyway. Who do you think made those trails in first place? Probably a full size truck. Look at a Jeep Rubicon....they are almost as wide my truck.

Would it easier be in a mini setup? Sure, but it's a moot point as I wouldn't fit my frame into one any way. Instead of two point turn, I may have a 4 point turn...no big deal.

Up Redcone Mountain and down Webster Pass, Colorado:

BQ0QVub.jpg

urzNNyV.jpg

MhntFuY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom