Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

Dream truck tech features?
Center console storage bin that locks and will fit a standard tablet like an Ipad.
Multiple charging plug options for stuff, Gopro camera, ipad, cell phone, laptop, gps unit of choice etc
A center dumb unit that simply mirrors any device of your choice via blue tooth connection be it your cell phone, ipad, gopro camera, tom tom GPS etc.
So any app that you find and use for your needs is displayed on the center screen on the dash for easier access and use etc.

The off road logic used today for controlling wheel spin and speeds are pretty cool and can make a tough effort far easier on the driver.

A shifter thats up on the column like most pickups so when your doing your gear selection your eyes are up and looking out of the truck vs down at the center console as you fumble around with a car style shifter. Some makers think making trucks more car like involves giving them that stupid center console shifter thing I HATE THOSE in trucks!!!

The back up camera system should have the screen embeded in the review mirror and give the driver the option of showing the rear view at any point. Meaning trucking down the highway and peaking at your trailer to make sure its still there or to make sure your not dragging gear thats falling off the back of your truck etc. Then of course there is the backing up part always good to see what your doing back there as you back up.

With our camper seeing thru it with the center mirror isn't an option. I'll be putting a rear view camera system on the truck, but should it fail it's failure won't send a ripple throughout the rest of the truck and cause other problems. Plan is to put the monitor on the center mirror and have it live any time that the key is on.

I've seen the later traction control systems do some pretty amazing things. Let me tell you about the time that I got our '91 Suburban about a foot in the air because of it's ABS while on dirt. Yeah, the newer systems are better. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice....
Our CTD has a Dana Power-lok in it's rear axle. Works exceptionally well. Almost totally transparent on pavement (it was with the GY Dura-Tracs, can occasionally feel it with the Yoko A/T-S'), has never allowed a tire to slip off pavement.

I really gotta know what is the Chevy notch? Does the tailgate cause the need for it or the bed?

I am looking at trucks. I have a Toyota Solara convertible which I have enjoyed for 8 years but alas no camper option:)

At this time I am leaning towards a Hallmark though I'm not sure which model. I just like the way they are built. FWC is also nice but maybe a bit more spartan and I like the looks of the Hallmark a tad more. I will try to find some to actually touch/feel crawl through.

So for a truck I am pondering either the F150 aluminum bed for the extra payload or a 250/2500 3/4 for the don't worry about the payload option. I have been reading about some of ins and outs of the various size trucks and places they might not be able to access.. As I have not traveled anywhere beyond the east coast I am interested in all these tidbits of info.

I retire in 2 years and want to go everywhere I can to take pictures. At this time it looks like a solo adventure so I am hoping to make some friends who might be traveling in the same area to share some adventures with. Being part Hobbit and having had few adventures I am looking forward to this but a bit intimidated by all that I don't know.
I am following all the truck talk with eagerness as I am hoping it will help me make a good decision on my purchase.

I appreciate all the knowledge being shared by you nice people who have been there, done that and are wearing the t-shirt:)

Looking forward to lots more reading of all these adventures!

The new Chevys have a rounded corner on the bed at the bottom. This is a problem for many campers not just the FWC. I am still thinking about a new truck and might try to find a used one, hard to part with over 45K.. Below is a picture of the notch I got from Stan he said many camper owners are just putting a 5/8" pad under the camper

med_gallery_1903_342_1806846.jpg

Pic of the rounded corner I found on line
mXlVVKxg__RjK49s2DuXAfg.jpg

Every other truck but Chevy
yhst-32344274741526_2261_1589669

billharr said:
The new Chevys have a rounded corner on the bed at the bottom. This is a problem for many campers not just the FWC. I am still thinking about a new truck and might try to find a used one, hard to part with over 45K.. Below is a picture of the notch I got from Stan he said many camper owners are just putting a 5/8" pad under the camper

med_gallery_1903_342_1806846.jpg

Pic of the rounded corner I found on line
mXlVVKxg__RjK49s2DuXAfg.jpg

Every other truck but Chevy
yhst-32344274741526_2261_1589669
The rounded corner is the same concept as the rounded door frame on the camper its a much stronger way to do it and you won't have a broken plate or weld at the 90 etc. This is why boat builders have been building hatches with rounded corners for decades.

Again with the questions...lol
Okay I was thinking I should probably get a 3/4 ton truck so I would be well with weight limits and now I am understanding that there will be places that truck won't go without issues. Is there a thread here for places to avoid with larger trucks so I can see how much of an impact on my travels that would be? The more I read the more I realize I am indeed the grasshopper:)

Happyjax said:
Again with the questions...lol
Okay I was thinking I should probably get a 3/4 ton truck so I would be well with weight limits and now I am understanding that there will be places that truck won't go without issues. Is there a thread here for places to avoid with larger trucks so I can see how much of an impact on my travels that would be? The more I read the more I realize I am indeed the grasshopper:)
Most desert stuff full size works well and if your into serious trail bashing then you just have a beater jeep you flat tow behind your full size pickup. The big gotcha for me is parking lots of places I've been the past few years I'm very happy to have a vehicle I can park in tight spots or the alternative is parking out in the north 40 some place. Also keep in mind that pay load is a very hot topic for experienced folks given with a camper and gear its not hard to find your self exceeding the max payload rating. Especially with the smaller more compact trucks.

Happyjax said:
I really gotta know what is the Chevy notch? Does the tailgate cause the need for it or the bed?

I am looking at trucks. I have a Toyota Solara convertible which I have enjoyed for 8 years but alas no camper option:)

At this time I am leaning towards a Hallmark though I'm not sure which model. I just like the way they are built. FWC is also nice but maybe a bit more spartan and I like the looks of the Hallmark a tad more. I will try to find some to actually touch/feel crawl through.

So for a truck I am pondering either the F150 aluminum bed for the extra payload or a 250/2500 3/4 for the don't worry about the payload option. I have been reading about some of ins and outs of the various size trucks and places they might not be able to access.. As I have not traveled anywhere beyond the east coast I am interested in all these tidbits of info.

I retire in 2 years and want to go everywhere I can to take pictures. At this time it looks like a solo adventure so I am hoping to make some friends who might be traveling in the same area to share some adventures with. Being part Hobbit and having had few adventures I am looking forward to this but a bit intimidated by all that I don't know.
I am following all the truck talk with eagerness as I am hoping it will help me make a good decision on my purchase.

I appreciate all the knowledge being shared by you nice people who have been there, done that and are wearing the t-shirt:)

Looking forward to lots more reading of all these adventures!
Keep in mind there is a big difference between payload with regular, extra, and crew cabs. Study the payload spec for the configuration you want. It really is easy to exceed the GVWR even with careful planning. Play around with an app like this http://www.visualsc.com/tc_calc.htm

Bill, I know you've mentioned the Chevy 2500. But, if you can hold out until the end of the 2015 model year, I suspect you will find very deep discounts on F-250 gas trucks. Like last years F-150, Ford ponied up a ton of cash to dealers on the back end of sales deals due to very deep discounts to get the steel trucks off the lots and make room for the new beer can F-150 (aluminum panels). The 2016 F-250 and F-350 will be receiving similar aluminum treatment. So I expect Ford to offer back end cash to dealers to fund deep cuts on 2015s. Once the discounts are announced, dealer inventory will go very fast since the 250/350 are highly sought after commercial-use trucks.

I am strongly considering replacing my 2003 F-250 with a late 2015 model year F-350. I bought one of the very last F-250s with the 7.3 to roll off the line. I have been very happy with the truck. Albeit the 7.3 does not care for the low sulfur diesel and fuel economy tanked from 19 to 14 mpg when low sulfur was introduced.

Advmotto, you're going to love the 2015 F350. I went with a late 2014 version to replace my 2000 F250 7.3, which I still have and love. Interesting that your mileage tanked with ultra low sulphur diesel. Mine is still above 19 when the camper is off.

With less than 3000 miles on the new truck, the best I've seen is 18.1. I expect it to go up as it breaks in more.

Does anyone here have the new Ford aluminum bed truck? I know the payload will be better with these but how hard would it be to get an aluminum bed repaired? I like the idea of trimming weight off but wonder what the cons would be:)
Have not test driven one yet so have no idea how they drive. Will be doing that this week:)

Happyjax said:
Does anyone here have the new Ford aluminum bed truck? I know the payload will be better with these but how hard would it be to get an aluminum bed repaired? I like the idea of trimming weight off but wonder what the cons would be:)
Have not test driven one yet so have no idea how they drive. Will be doing that this week:)
Jury is still out on what the new F150 will carry.

Edmonds did a test on the repair cost not good.

"What’s clear is none of this is cheap. Remember the broken taillight? That turned into a big ticket item, too: Not only was the broken lens integrated into a single assembly that needed replacement, all of the sensors for the truck’s blind-spot monitoring system are housed in the same unit. Crack a lens and you have to replace the whole taillight for a whopping $887.75. Of course, that would be true on any vehicle equipped with such high-end safety technology. But even replacing the damaged “Sport 4X4″ decal cost $64.

Edit: added videos

All the magazines I read say the new 2015 Ford F-150 will still have a steel bed. Only the cab will be aluminum. GVWR of the 2015 will be the same as 2014 so payload goes up only from the aluminum weight reduction, 300 lb for regular cab, 500 lb for extended cab, 700 lb for crew cab. Actual payload will depend on spring package (base or better trailer package (adds 300-500 lb) or payload package (adds 800-1000 lb) less optional equipment. If you get an extended cab or crew cab short bed, then get the better trailer package. If you get anything with a long bed, get the payload package. An extended cab short bed with the better trailer package and a Hawk looks interesting but could still sag because so much of the weight goes on the rear axle. Please note: I only recommend regular cabs with the payload package for carrying a camper. Ford has three or more trailer packages so figuring out which one has the better springs is interesting. Focus on sticker GVWR when ordering or shopping to get the best spring package.

Aluminum bed or cab or ??? doesn't really matter. I would think you want capacity and torque and mileage if you are looking at a 1/2 ton truck. I haven't seen Ford talk about mileage but if I was looking for a new truck and could afford one, I'd go for the 1/2 ton Ram diesel. Best of all worlds in my opinion.

So much good info here. I would love the cost and fuel savings of a 1/2 ton but keep thinking the 3/4 ton would be the safer option. That way I would not have to scrimp on my camper and cargo..... Still it is fun to learn and shop!

I liked the video where they nailed the quarter panel with a sledgehammer and then got some estimates. I would have liked to see what damage the same blow would have inflicted to a steel quarter panel. I am no expert on what a sledge should do to a truck body but it seemed to me that the damage was not that extensive for the whacking the truck got. I wonder what the steel bed would have looked like after that punch. As for the expensive tail light replacement I think it is the future of these gadgets, at least until they become more prevalent and get some 3rd party competition. I remember $2,000+ 15" plasma computer monitors........

I bought a very late production 2014 F150 V8 SC and and have driven the same spec 2015 aluminum model and I can tell you that you can feel the 500 pound loss. It feels livelier than mine and slightly more nimble on curves. I would love to have the extra 500 lbs of payload capacity too.

^^ I'll pass on the $867 tail light replacements, though.

Back
Top Bottom