This is embarrassing! San Juan National Forest, CO

Durango1

So Sioux and I have lived in Durango, CO (off and on) since 1976. And we have camped a lot BUT always backpacking or lately in a 4WD FWC waaaaay off road!

So now we have relatives from Kansas coming in this weekend with a 4WD PU dragging a very low clearance tent trailer that want to do "dispersed camping". And I'm not familiar with "easy-to-get-to" dispersed camping sites in SW Colorado. Anybody got a "secret spot" they would recommend?

NOTE: Our relatives would like to do some fishing but don't need to be camped right on a lake. And they'd like to be within 45 minutes or so of Durango. They are in their late 60's and coming from Kansas so I don't want to stick 'em at 10,000 feet right away.

I'm thinking north of Mancos, CO around Jackson Lake. But everything is on the table. And thanks in advance for any ideas! :)

Steve

Upper Piedra River area NNW of Pagosa Springs, I'll bet they'd enjoy the 'semi-dispersed' sites at Bridge CG and the proximity of both river and lake fishing in the area. Or if you head up the hill just west of Bridge CG there's a few truly dispersed sites for the taking.
Rico

RicoV said:
Upper Piedra River area NNW of Pagosa Springs, I'll bet they'd enjoy the 'semi-dispersed' sites at Bridge CG and the proximity of both river and lake fishing in the area. Or if you head up the hill just west of Bridge CG there's a few truly dispersed sites for the taking.
Rico
Nice. I hasn't thought of the Piedra for camping.

A long, long time ago in another life a friend and I tried rafting Lower and Upper Box of the Piedra in my cataraft and lost all four oars we were carrying. That was back when we were young and foolish versus old and...

Back
Top Bottom