This photo needs a caption

In North Carolina, it would be: "Naw, you cain't git there from here. First you need to go down to........"

"Are you sure you didn't bring a second set of keys?"

Winner! :-D
The extra keys were also in the truck. And it was running. :eek: :D

Next question, how many pop-up owners does it take to unlock a truck?

This thread is getting complicated :oops: ! (1) Next road on the left you can't miss it! (2) One-that's what rocks are for! (3) I learned the hard way :oops: ----I always carry a spare key in my wallet, I don't go anywhere without it! ;)

Smoke

Ted said:
The extra keys were also in the truck. And it was running. :eek: :D

Next question, how many pop-up owners does it take to unlock a truck?
Nine, I believe the correct answer is nine. All are not pictured in the photo below.

gallery_1902_252_49424.jpg

Need to try the same set up but have the spare outside with you. Then see if the doors will unlock when the door is closed the rest of the way. Some newer trucks will do that. Oh my, I may have said too much, well gotta go...............

I'll fess up that it was me standing outside a locked truck with the engine running, me without a spare key hidden away somewhere. That was remedied the first day we were back. That in itself was an adventure.............................

After diligently having a hide a key on all our prior vehicles and never using it, it was too easy to “never getting around to it.” Monday at noon I stopped by our small town hardware store. Dave and his wife run the place. We use to complain about the somewhat higher prices – “I’ve got to run over to ‘Holdup Hardware’” or “I’m making a trip over to ‘Costalot’” that is until gas prices climbed and time became more valuable to run down the hill. And, every real project takes a minimum of three trips to the hardware store, right? The business has grown and we’re seeing local folks employed.

I walked in and announced I needed a key made. The girl at the register was quick onto her radio, “Need a key made!” They love those radios. Dave was within sight doing inventory in an aisle. On the radio he announced he’ll take care of the key.
“Hey, Ski. What do you need?” he asked from across the room.
“You got ‘em trained on radio use, don’t ya Dave?”
“Yeah. We love these radios.”
“I need a key for my truck.”
He squinted his eyes and looked at me.
“Just for getting in the door,” I added.
“We can do that!”
He made the key. “Do you have the truck here?”
“I had to go to the post office so I got the truck.” In a small town it is required you add information about your day and events so it can be spread throughout the community.
“Try it.” Dave said as he handed me the key, still warm from its birthing.
I was right back in after trying it in my driver’s door. “Don’t open.”
“Really? Let me work on adjusting this cutter.”
After the adjustment and some recutting and a new second key, just to be sure, I returned from the second test. “Nope, neither of these keys opens the door.”
“What?” Dave’s brow was furrowed. His mind was working. He pointed at my key still in the cutting machine. “Does that key open the door?”
“Good question! I’ve never once opened the truck with a key. Always just push that little magic button.” I pointed toward my keys.
With all the keys, Dave and I were out in the parking lot. The driver’s door would not unlock with any of the keys. “Well, I’m feeling better!” Dave announced.
“I’m not.” It was my turn to think. “Let’s try ‘em in the passenger door.”
They worked. “Have you had the driver’s door lock changed?” Dave asked.
“Nope. We use the magic button……………………….but seems like when I was checking the carfax report prior to buying this truck, seems I remember it had been reprocessed once. Maybe the lock was punched out and just quickly replaced.”
“Could be it.” Dave nodded. “What are you going to do?”
“Open the passenger door with the spare key.”
I know it is only a matter of time before the Lady returns from Safeway and announces she was asked about our truck getting reprocessed.

As a participant in this little "diversion at Dunderberg", what I liked best about it was the "all's well that ends well" aspect. ;)

Good story, thanks for posting it. One of life's little irritations is that the Tacoma doesn't have a lockset on the passenger door, only the driver's. You have to use the little button thingy to unlock or lock from the passenger side.

Prior to my first trip south with LocosMocos for the Baja 1000 I was paranoid about locking ourselves out of the truck while someplace E-N-E of BFE Baja. With the way that I knew we'd be driving I had no faith in a magnetic key holder still being there if we needed it. So I welded up a "key vise" that screwed to the top of the cat's heat shield. Nice thumb screw to hold the keys in place placed where you could never see it, no matter how thorough of an inspection you made but it was an easy reach (when cool). I also made sure that my co-dog had his own set of keys to the truck. The latter is something that I've yet to convince my wife of the necessity for, but every rig since that trip gets it's own, unique spare key holder just in case. (That cat heat shield is now under it's second such truck and last that I knew resides in Lost Wages somewhere. I told the new owner about it, don't know if he/they use it.)

My 2005 Toyota 4 Runner does not have a key entry on the passage side. At least if the clickie does not work and the driver's door gets buggered up, there is still the hatch key entry.

Back
Top Bottom