Thoughts on placing a FWC on a small trailer

Hayduke

Hey all. I'm still alive. Just been viewing (a lot)
I have a shell FWC on 1999 Tacoma that I have customized inside. I love it and have used it a lot, but It's getting to be a real pain in the arse to take off and put on, especially with my hydraulic jacks. Those things are 11 years old and never been rebuilt. One is a little tempermental like my wife. Plus, my storage spot is tight, on a slight incline, and always a challenge to load. I'm thinking of mounting my camper in a small truck bed trailer I saw for sale cheap, then all I''d have to do is throw a ball on the hitch, hook up the lights and be gone. I mostly end up on nasty or semi nasty 4x4 roads in the desert and will sacrifice my approach and departure angles, but the ease of using my FWC as a trailer unit is starting to appeal.
My ground clearance would not suffer that much, as this trailer has 15" tires.
So... has anyone tried this method? Just wondering. At least I'd have the option to carry it in my truck bed if I knew I'd be on really crappy roads.
Any input appreciated
Take Care All
Hayduke

I've thought of doing something similar for different reasons. Mainly the fact that the only level spot on my entire 1.2 acres is beside the garage where I'd still like to be able to park the truck. I figured I could load & unload there but put the FWC on the trailer & move it to the back of the property when not in use. Then I thought for short weekend trips I'd just tow it & save the hassle of loading it on the truck but still have that option for longer trips.

I would at the very least change out the truck axle that is usually under the type of trailer you describe for a trailer axle with brakes - could even match the lug pattern on your truck so you wouldn't have to carry another spare.

Another option would be to purchase a 5' by 10' utility trailer with about a 3500 lb capacity. not to exspensive new & they come up on Craig's list sometimes for around $600. The 10' length seems to usually have the axle in about the right location for weight distribution with the camper all the way at the back. This does 2 things - keeps the cab overhang from being a problem if you tow it with an SUV or have a topper on the truck & also gives you storage for ice chests, fuel & water, or maybe bicycles. When I say a 5x10 trailer I'm talking bed size - not overall in case that's not clear. This size should fit any FWC made including my older wider Granby.

I hope this helps - like I said I've thought seriously about doing this.
Doug

Ugly trailers

John D.,

Those are just about the ugliest trailers I have seen. They may be strong and cheap, but....they sure would need some fixin' up IMHO.

What do you guys think about pintle hitches and towing eyes? They are probably stronger than ball hitches and might be called for off road. A good pintle and eye hitch is not sloppy.

The military has lots of trailers in property disposle. Those shown are generator trailers. Prettier ones sell individually, ugly ones go in lots. Personally, I would rather have an ugly cheap one and paint it. John D

John D

I flat tow my Jeep and a surplus military trailer with a pintle hook and except for a little clanking on startup and braking it works great. It's much stronger than a ball and can tolerate extreme angles. It's also a lot easier to get lined up.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom