30 Amp Extension Cord Required For A 2016 Hawk "Shore" Power ?

Do you actually need a 50 ft cord? I am pretty sure the hardwired cord for my 2007 Keystone is about 25 ft long. it has a 30 A plug with a 15A/20A 3 prong adaptor. I carry a 25 ft 14 ga extension cord with a 20A male to 15A female adaptor, a 30 A male to 15A female adapter and a 50A male to 30A female adapter. The 25 ft extension cord is sacrificial in an overload situation. I have had to use all of them at least once.

Last edited:
Good question...especially since the 50 ft cord I ordered weighs 17+lbs...where I ski often has a long run out to power box depending on snow conditions and where I must park...better for me to be too long than too short; can coil it can't stretch it...could indeed carry two 25 ft cords but that would also mean a connection between those cords that might be under the snow and getting wet...if indeed getting wet even matters...wild card is if I will lose significant power due to length of cord; I assumed the heavier 30amp wire will lose much less than a 15 amp cord of the same length...but don't really know, just my WAG.

Good suggestion and yes in CGs/RV parks 25 ft will most often be sufficient. We use the Hawk a lot and mostly [95+%] off road and on solar/DC-DC...so yes, all this prep for 'what if' is most probably just in keeping with my excessive planning for LCDs! :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts...Phil

Power loss due to cable resistance = heat. If the cord doesn't get war or hot then it it is not drawing much power.

If you are only drawing a relatively low amount of current relative to the capacity of the wires then it is not an issue. It you are running a large radiant heater and a microwave and an A/C or clothes dryer I suppose you might draw 30 amps AC.

As for power needs. I suggest you look at all the items you might have on at the same time on DC and AC. Do an AC conversion for the DC items. Add it up. You should be way less than 30 A.

I think Jon R made a good comment in #6. Size the wire for what you will likely be running plus 5 or so amps for safety margin. Put a resettable fuse at the connector that has a blow rating for the highest current the wire you choose will take. My guess is that 12 ga wire would be more than adequate but then maybe you are running a lot of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom