Thoughts on the NCO Cajita

Do you like the idea of a NCO FWC?

• Yes

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 56.4%

• Total voters
I can see your point on the model shown. I think the Granby and the Keystone would be fine for some. One thing that made me think twice about it is to get a 6'4" int ht with the low profile they really had to use alot of fabric. Will there be issues with high wind? But I do think Stan pointed out a number of good reasons to have one so if it works for someone it's great that a company is meeting those needs. I really wish he'd just go ahead and tell us what they plan for future models.

I think it would be better marketing to let us know whats planned. May be they worry about hurting present sales?

I think it would be better marketing to let us know whats planned. May be they worry about hurting present sales?

I agree, especially with the wait time that is involved with a camper. Just let us know what might be coming in the next few months or so.

It is all relative.

I have spent over 200 nights inside my Leer topper with two people. And I carry a ton of gear, literally. The Cajita would be a palace compared to my topper.

Pam and I camped for several years in our T100 with a snug top and tons of gear. We unloaded set up camp and slept on a futon in the back of the truck and after seeing the Tiny Box in person I can tell you your wrong. Your Leer was way more spacious.

Aren't they built to order? Probably not a big inventory of new campers waiting to be bought. If that's the case then new models would just be another choice to decide on. On the plus side, gotta be something special. Can't put a teaser out there and then it's no big deal!

It is all relative.

I have spent over 200 nights inside my Leer topper with two people. And I carry a ton of gear, literally. The Cajita would be a palace compared to my topper.

I have spent a lot of nights in the back of my 1952 Willys Station Jeep Wagon too, but when you spend this much $$$ you had better get a substantial upgrade. I don't remember an extended hunting or fishing trip where I didn't have some marginal weather and then you need to set up a tent (or at least a very good awning) just to keep your gear dry. Then you have to load everything up again to move camp every day or two. Maybe there is a market for the Cajita...I just don't see it. Of course, you will not please every everyone, but then again should you try or just stay with what you do best?

CWD

Here's a photo I found of the first 3 customers standing in line @ the factory awaiting delivery of their campers

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 144
Here's a photo I found of the first 3 customers standing in line @ the factory awaiting delivery of their campers

Now this thread makes sense....Too funny!

Really going against the grain here - I think it is neat idea. Until we bought our camper, our vehicle was always parked in the garage. It would be nice to have that option again. Even though I don't have one, I actually drew up a design for an interior build in a shell model for kicks and grins. Surprisingly similar to this interior. The cabinets were on both sides but with a dinette at the front instead of a couch. Currently the bench seat and the dinette both block some of the doorway in the current layouts. Yes, there is a lack of space but, like others, our vehicle before was a '95 Toyota truck with a shell on it. We managed to do two week trips in that, so it could be done in this. Probably won't be a big seller, but it has its place.

Really going against the grain here - I think it is neat idea.

Agree, might get more people out camping! While I subscribe to the quote someone here posted from Abbey "You live to close to town if you can't piss in your front yard" others are not so fortunate and lots of subdivisions have some pretty restrictive covenants :( A friend in the Chicago burbs can't even park a pickup in the front part of his drive much less a camper. A Cajita on a double cab might provide some extra storage.

Thanks guys, I was beginning to feel like this was turning into a FWC bashing thread, which is not what I meant it to be.

I just thought the NCO was an interesting option and wanted peoples input on the pros and cons.

If FWC took an idea from Flip-Pac, and made a tent cabover, while keeping the interior design the same and the overall height the same, I think they would have something.

highz,

I think you have a good point. If they could make a proper water resistant tent that flipped....hmmm

Before I got the Eagle, I was seriously considering the FP.
Light, roomy, large sleeping area,fully customizable - same for FWC/ATC shell models
What killed me was the FP price, and being locked in to a particular truck.

If FWC took an idea from Flip-Pac, and made a tent cabover, while keeping the interior design the same and the overall height the same, I think they would have something.

No FWC bashing, maybe a little Cajita bashing went on though :rolleyes: But if you guys think FWC missed the mark with NCO check out the picks of the new GXV partially designed by the Wescott's over at Turtle Expeditions. The pics are on expo:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59198

They went NCO on this thing and put a rack where the cab over would be. There is no savings on height, aerodynamics or garage-ability by not going cab over on this thing and at $130k to start I would darn well want the extra space afforded by the cab over!

I like the Cajita concept for its very low profile and having the bed down low - of course, it would be nice if the bed were wider, but it is what it is.

It looks like FWC hit the mark with their target customer, from the requests, but it won't be clear until production and sales commence. I applaud them for always trying new things. So much of what is offered here is the "same old thing" and it's great that we are seeing new ideas and alternative choices. Sure, it's not for everyone, but then that is kind of the point.

I kind of wish there were a flat-bed version, "Home Skillet Cajita" ;)

I kind of wish there were a flat-bed version, "Home Skillet Cajita" ;)

Building a foam core flat bed NCO hardside pop-up would actually be fairly easy compared to the cab-over versions we're doing in my opinion. Its just two over lapping boxes.

Building a foam core flat bed NCO hardside pop-up would actually be fairly easy compared to the cab-over versions we're doing in my opinion. Its just two over lapping boxes.

This is true. It is always the cab over section that gives me pause when thinking about building my own.

Bingo !

Here's a couple of examples : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20822

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48351

:D

Yep, if I wasn't trying to make my camper family friendly and keep a short wheel base on a truck I would have serious considered that type of route for ease. If those fuso's could actually do 80mph (with okay mileage) I would think about one of them to ditch the front end wasted space on American trucks. But I can't give up the speed/power potential at this stage in my life. I wander on a time line... :LOL:

I'm just waiting for the DIY bug to over take Overland Hadley. ;)

I'm just waiting for the DIY bug to over take Overland Hadley. ;)

Oh, it already has.

I was bitten a while ago, but your build is not helping things. You have no idea how many hours I have spent thinking about building a camper myself. Maybe I should do it, but I have so many other projects that are a priority. Ah shucks, now I am going to lay awake tonight thinking about building a camper for myself.

Oh, it already has.

I was bitten a while ago, but your build is not helping things. You have no idea how many hours I have spent thinking about building a camper myself. Maybe I should do it, but I have so many other projects that are a priority. Ah shucks, now I am going to lay awake tonight thinking about building a camper for myself.

Considering I finally just started building last month after quite a few months of reading and thinking I can speculate on the awake hours. It hasn't stopped because not I have to make final decisions on how to actually do everything! ;)

Wish I had more personal time for doing to knock this out but I am working through it. I'm usually up for brainstorming if you want to hit me up.

Back
Top Bottom