Three Day Weekend

Marc

Fire Proof
For those of you who live in S. Cal where would you go for a quick weekend outing? The boss just let me go and I don't have to be back untill Monday. I would like to keep it within a couple hundred miles each way and plan on being on the road by noon at the latest. Was thinking of either a trip up to Jalama or possibly the Frazier Park area where Sunman just went. What do you think ??

Marc

Simi, Capt., Sunman
I ended up going to Jalama. for a campground it is rather nice and was able to get a spot on the beach. The weather was a little chilly but all in all it was a nice weekend. The surf was pounding preatty good but no real shape to it. As far as campgrounds go this is one of my favorites and this is the best time of year with no crowds.

Marc

jalama bad timing! starting a slow trip up coast

we read your post about making a week end trip .wensday we are heading to borrego then san diego then sloooowly up coast .never have been to jalama saw it on map looked kind of neat so it is one of our planned stops other than that we are hoping to see the herds of elephant seals along coast as i read this is the time of year ,do you know anything about where they land? any other suggestions as to neat spots? any pictures of jalama?glad you had a good weekend drive slow and enjoy "its the journey" Les &Virginia LQHikers

How far up the coast do you plan to come?

we read your post about making a week end trip .wensday we are heading to borrego then san diego then sloooowly up coast .never have been to jalama saw it on map looked kind of neat so it is one of our planned stops other than that we are hoping to see the herds of elephant seals along coast as i read this is the time of year ,do you know anything about where they land? any other suggestions as to neat spots? any pictures of jalama?glad you had a good weekend drive slow and enjoy "its the journey" Les &Virginia LQHikers

I live in Santa Maria, which is about 30 miles north of Jalama. I can show you some really nice back country campgrounds not far from here (I hate to give the names on a publicly viewable forum, as some of the closer ones have started to get trashed, but will PM any WTW member with names and directions). If you plan to go even further north, there's Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes & Montana de Oro (good place to see sea lions) in SLO County. For a day trip to view sea lions, Shell Beach is pretty good and it's next door to Pismo.

Les

Didn't have the camera with me on this trip but here are some pic from a previous one.

Marc

Attachments

• Cougar's maiden voyage (56) (Small).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (56) (Small).JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 293
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (51) (Small).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (51) (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (50) (Small).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (50) (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (25).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (25).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (28) (Small).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (28) (Small).JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 283
And some more.

Attachments

• Cougar's maiden voyage (30) (Small).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (30) (Small).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (41).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (41).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Cougar's maiden voyage (44).JPG
    Cougar's maiden voyage (44).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 278
Great shots Marc.

Hard to tell who is having more fun, you or your fuzzy co-pilot. Sometimes the best places are right in our own backyard. After a recent trip on the CA coast, I would have to say the Big Sur area is one fine neighborhood.

[quick hijack]
lq - I may be too late to help, but I was fortunate enough to see and hear the Elephant Seals on my trip over Thanksgiving week. It was purely by accident and it took me several minutes to figure out what was the weird bellowing I kept hearing. A very stirring moment with my early morning coffee.

We were about 5 miles north of Cambria, when I pulled over to take in the view. There is actually a formal turnout designated as the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Vista Point, about a mile further north. There were info signs all over that turn out and several cars. Where we stopped there were no signs and no other cars. As soon as we could spot one (there odd shaped heads blend in well with the rocks) we sat and watched them playing in the surf, uninterrupted for half an hour.

I have no idea if a certain time of the day is better to see and hear them, but we were there around 7:30am. Hope this helps and you get to hear them in their element.
[hijack off]s Blancas Elephant Seal vista pointPiedras Blancas Elephant Seal vista point

Back
Top Bottom