Three Rivers and the Valley of Fires

Bosque Bill

The next installment of my travels in my new Fleet. In this episode I finally get to explore the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site that I've wanted to visit for years. I also discover a very interesting lava flow, too!

Additional photos will follow in separate posts on my blog, probably tomorrow (Monday.) I will add a comment to this thread when I post those photos for those interested.

Should say this is New Mexico not Nevada, as the place names are similar.

Thanks for reading.

Way to go, Bosque. The Carrizozo lava flow is fairly recent, as are the ones around your stomping ground in Albuquerque. The old Rio Grande Rift in action.

The next time you might take the highway from Carrizozo up through Corona. There is a nice side trip to White Oaks (old mining town) and a down right pretty drive. Lots of wild life in the area. From Corona you can go to Encino, then the ruins at Abo between Mountainair and Bernardo. There was a hotel in Mountainair that was built in the 1930's that was rumored to be under reconstruction some years back. Absolutely 1930's kitsch pesonified.

Just a thought.

Nice blog entry, Bill. I was at Bonito Lake and the White Mountain Wilderness about a week before the Little Bear fire.

This was shot from Monjeau lookout the week before the fire (the lookout burned, but is being rebuilt). Most everything in the fore and middle ground of the photo burned.
SierraBlanca.jpg

The next time you might take the highway from Carrizozo up through Corona. There is a nice side trip to White Oaks (old mining town) and a down right pretty drive. Lots of wild life in the area. From Corona you can go to Encino, then the ruins at Abo between Mountainair and Bernardo. There was a hotel in Mountainair that was built in the 1930's that was rumored to be under reconstruction some years back.

Thanks for the suggestion, Argonaut20. I've visited the ruins at Quarai and Grand Quivira, but not Abó (which, ironically, may be the easiest to get to.) One of those trips, a friend and I had lunch at the old hotel in Mountainair - it was excellent.

This was shot from Monjeau lookout the week before the fire (the lookout burned, but is being rebuilt). Most everything in the fore and middle ground of the photo burned.
View attachment 16316

Looks like it was indeed beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photo even though it is sad it is gone... at least for our generation. Though I've heard dire predictions from those who should know, on the ability of southwestern forests to regenerate in these times of increased droughts and temperatures.

The next installment of my travels in my new Fleet. In this episode I finally get to explore the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site that I've wanted to visit for years. I also discover a very interesting lava flow, too!

Additional photos will follow in separate posts on my blog, probably tomorrow (Monday.) I will add a comment to this thread when I post those photos for those interested.

Should say this is New Mexico not Nevada, as the place names are similar.

Thanks for reading.

Nice report and photos Bill.Thanks for sharing.
Frank

Great report, Bill. Those are amazing petroglyphs and your comments help me understand what I am looking at.
The cacti and flower macros are really nice too. My favorite is the close up of the hedge hog bloom.

Great report, Bill. Those are amazing petroglyphs and your comments help me understand what I am looking at.
The cacti and flower macros are really nice too. My favorite is the close up of the hedge hog bloom.

x2. Really nice photos. Thanks.

Thanks, Andy. The cactus blossom macro did come out nicely; I was pleased.

x2. Really nice photos. Thanks.

Thanks, takesiteasy.

Thanks, Frank.

Great photos, BB. That hedgehog cactus (aka claret cup?) was blooming all over Otero Mesa last week, too. Your macro photo of it and the other wildflowers are really nice. Enjoyed the petroglyph photos, too. I wonder if there are more petroglyphs in the Godfreys? It wouldn't surprise me.

Great photos, BB. That hedgehog cactus (aka claret cup?) was blooming all over Otero Mesa last week, too. Your macro photo of it and the other wildflowers are really nice. Enjoyed the petroglyph photos, too. I wonder if there are more petroglyphs in the Godfreys? It wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks, highz. Yes, I think Hedgehog is the same as Claret Cup - seen it identified both ways. I thought the same thing as I was driving out from the campground. I bet there are petroglyphs on many of those unassuming hills around there.

Back
Top Bottom