Thule Hullavator on a Hawk?

Ronanmd1

Hey guys - I need to find a solution to load my kayak onto the Hawk when camping/fishing solo. The kayak weighs about 60 lbs. Wondering if anyone has experience using a Thule Hullavator on their camper. It looks like it will work great, but I am a bit nervous that the roof rails would strain from the lateral torque while loading and unloading. Thoughts?

Jason

I've used my hullivator on top of my Honda Ridgeline. The hullivator makes it easy. The load bars have to stick out past the edge of the camper for the hullivator's to work. You will probably need a one or two stair step stool to help you load the kayak. It might be hard to raise the kayak above your head after a long day of paddling.

I also want to get a Hawk for kayak fishing and camping. I plan to do the same thing when I finally get a FWC.

Check out ncka.org. It's all about kayak fishing.

Our Hawk came with a Hullivator, which I ultimately sold. Lifting the boat to about sternum height wasn't all that easy, and the mechanics of pivoting and locking the boats down were not reassuring to me. I sold the device and we went with Hully Rollers in the back and saddles in the front. With care, I can load a 12' 50# kayak solo, but our normal practice is to have two of us loading/unloading together. I think the Hullivator would work better on a lower roof deck than the Hawk/Tundra height. I did not have any issues with the torque on the tracks, but it's worth thinking about when you cantilever that much weight off the side.

I considered the Hullivator when I got my Grandby and actually bought it. But after getting it home felt it was too heavy. I chose instead to use the simple and very light boat loader. Adds almost no weight to the roof and I load my 13' 65 lb Widerness by myself without issue.

I actually have 4 crossbars on my roof. I have the boat loader, 2 sets of gunwale brackets, a basketcase, & the pole holders. Last time out with the kayak the roof load included paddles, 6' collapsible ladder, wet suits, flotation vests, clam tube, shovel, post hole tool, crab nets, and fishing poles. My roof also has a solar panel permanently mounted.

I'm using the Hully Rollers and saddles. I also added a third crossbar at the rear of the camper. This allows me to slide the kayak into the Hully Rollers without rubbing across the rear edge of the camper roof. It helps to have a second person or a raised area to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom