Time for Colorado

kcowyo

We're heading out in two days for Colorado. :cool:

First things first, she has a 3 day business conference in Colorado Springs at the swanky 5 star Broadmoor Resort. So while she is attending seminars, I'll be sitting in our suite, ordering room service and maybe getting a long overdue pedicure before sauntering down to the spa for a mudbath.

The following week we will be taking a scenic loop through the San Juan mountains in the SW corner of the state. On the itinerary are Lake City, Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride. Then back east to Salida, to see her folks and to ski Monarch. We'll be gone for 10 days altogether.

Sadly, we are not anticipating doing much camping. In fact, I'm not even putting the camper on the truck for this trip. The weather in CO this time of year is too iffy for camping and most trails and campgrounds are closed anyway. Why waste the MPG's if we can't camp? In case we do have a decent night to spend outside, I am bringing our new roof top tent, which will serve as a cover for our stuff in the bed, more than a tent. I just sold my old truck topper two weeks ago, which would have been much more handy as a bed cover.

How we'll look, going down the road. Wave if you see us! -
sv+410.jpg

If we get the chance to camp, we'll pop the top and crank up the electric blanket -
sv+367.jpg

I'll be bringing my camera and taking notes, so perhaps I'll have some photos to share and maybe even something witty to say, when it's all said and done. It's good to go without the FWC on rare occasions. Makes us appreciate the camper that much more!

If we get the chance to camp, we'll pop the top and crank up the electric blanket -

Joke? Running shore power or are you actually running a blanket off 12V? Seems like the latter would suck some amps.

Heya KC.....

No telling what will happen in the span of 10 days as the weather can change quickly...but for the record it has been EXTREMELY WARM here in the hills the last 2 weeks or so..and we've had very little snow to speak of in March...typically our snowiest month.

I'm at 7250msl and as I type this it's 57 degrees in the shade and the low last night was just about freezing....

Um...perfect camping weather. IMO!

I'm sick of snow and cold...but even so...it's a bit early to see the ground and if things keep going I fear we will see a repeat of 2002/the Hayman fire/etc.

And with all of these DEAD trees...such a dry year coulds spell serious/epic disaster.

have fun...but man...put the camper on!

mtn

I'll be driving right by you on Friday afternoon. We're heading from the Denver 'burbs through the 'Springs on our way to Taos. From Taos, we're launching a camping trip to southern NM for the rest of the week, then back to D. If you see a dirt colored new gen Tundra carrying an ATC...

We'll be out and about on Friday also....heading down 24/285 through Buena Vista/Alamosa/Tres piedras...possibly to Santa Fe.

Saturday we'll head on down to Socorro on I-25 for a campout with my oldest son and his GF and her parents. Sunday afternoon we'll start winding home...more than likely spending Sun/Mon nights somewhere in N New Mexico before blasting home tuesday.

Definitely not as many nights out as I'd like...but I'll take what I can get at this time of year!

Joke? Running shore power or are you actually running a blanket off 12V? Seems like the latter would suck some amps.

Totally serious.

Among other creature comforts I've invested in (shower, Porta Privy, toilet, etc.) for her comfort, I thought I would try a 12v blanket when we took the tent across the SW US last Fall. It only draws 4 amps and has a 30 or 45 minute setting before it automatically shuts off. I plug it into an accessory 12v outlet in the rear of the truck bed. The shut off feature is really nice for setting it and forgetting it.

I prefer to sleep cold, rather than warm, so it's not for me. However, I also prefer sleeping with her, to sleeping without her. So you know, whatever it takes...;)

have fun...but man...put the camper on!

After six years of living in Lake City, CO I know one thing for certain about Spring weather in the San Juans. Don't tempt it...

There is another reason we'll be motelling it on this road trip. She just recently sold her timeshare membership after 2 years of having it listed. But she had already paid her $600 in annual fees for '09. The company, rather than refunding her $600, gave her an Am-Ex debit card for $600 that can be used at any hotel that takes Am-Ex. The caveat? She has 6 months to use it or it expires. :mad:

I know in the next 6 months we will be doing a lot of trips in the camper and none in a hotel. So we have to use it or lose it. I'm not too bummed to be doing the hotel thing if it's "free". And I'll be back in Colorado with the FWC, for a Father's Day camping trip to the Sand Dunes and maybe again in September, if a WTW group does a rally in the San Juans. If this were my only trip to CO this year, I would definitely take the camper.

The main reason to take the tent is to act as a cover for gear in the bed. It will help keep any snow off, and quick hands out of, our stuff.

I'll keep an eye out for any campers going by!

Totally serious.

Among other creature comforts I've invested in (shower, Porta Privy, toilet, etc.) for her comfort, I thought I would try a 12v blanket when we took the tent across the SW US last Fall. It only draws 4 amps and has a 30 or 45 minute setting before it automatically shuts off. I plug it into an accessory 12v outlet in the rear of the truck bed. The shut off feature is really nice for setting it and forgetting it.

I prefer to sleep cold, rather than warm, so it's not for me. However, I also prefer sleeping with her, to sleeping without her. So you know, whatever it takes...;)

Huh, I had heard resistive 12V stuff usually doesn't work out well, good to know I guess.

Understandable on the GF front (I think I picked up right that she is currently a GF hoping to be upgraded... ;)), the wife isn't prissy but if you make her more cozy the mood is likely to stay more positive. :D

Yikes, many of us traveling the same roads at the end of the week. I'll be heading S on 285 Thursday, Mtn-High will be right behind me on Friday, and Brett13 not far behind, where you heading in S NM? I may be 4 wheeling or 2 wheeling it Saturday in Monticello Canyon
158758873_mtJv7-M.jpg

I think the farthest south we'll get is Socorro. I'd love to pop on down to The City of Rocks...and then up and around through Reserve/Gilas but I don't know if we have the time this go around...

Monticello looks sweet...I'm ready for some warmth!

My wife just noticed that there is a star party this Sat night in City of Rocks. If you've never been to one, it works like this: an astronomer or park ranger versed in astronomy comes out with a telescope or two. They give a little tour of the sky and let you observe through the scope. Saturn should be visible in the early evening right now. Everyone should see Saturn with their own eyes sometime- truly amazing.

linky

They have a roll-off roof observatory at City of Rocks with a 14-inch telescope. I haven't personally seen their telescope, but 14-inch sounds like it might be either a Meade or Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain. Should be good for Saturn, yes indeed.

The forecast calls for partly cloudy skies. I think that's what meteorologists call when they just don't know;)

So how is the car top tent mounted to the truck? It has potential. Not as cush as an ATC FWC but an interesting concept.

I bolted two Thule bars across my bed, to the bedrails. The tent has a u-bolt system on the bottom. Simply attach the u-bolts to the Thule bars.

sv+320.jpg

The tent on the truck is an experiment... I'm going to mount it on my old Landcruiser for overnighters and weekends around WY. After owning a FWC, there is no comparison. A tent is a tent. This one is just kinda cool. The FWC has spoiled us from wanting to travel any other way.

Understandable on the GF front (I think I picked up right that she is currently a GF hoping to be upgraded... ;)), the wife isn't prissy but if you make her more cozy the mood is likely to stay more positive. :D

Yup, a gf I'm trying to keep cozy for the reason you mentioned. It's only taken me a handful of ex-girlfriends, one ex-wife and 20 years to figure this out. :eek:

Hey,

Have good trips.

I have a good friend in Buena Vista Co. Well he had been buried in snow for some years, But he bought a snow thrower and really has not had a good chance to use it this season...yet.

Watch for elk and deer, last Oct coming down to Buena Vista is where I hit that 500 pound cow elk.

Not to further hijack kc's thread..... (OK,,so I guess i am anyway)

We're postponing our trip south until next week/weekend..Thurs-Sun. After checking the weather HERE..we decided to hang out and enjoy the 65 degree temps...which is why we were heading south in the first place! :thumb:
I cleaned the camper..so we may do a night out in-state somewhere over the weekend..just for the heck of it/to get out and about.

Next weekend it appears the bottom may fall out here....lower temps...snow showers/etc., making a trip south far more worthwhile. Fortunately...the forecast is for mid 70's down south/NM way in the same time period.

Drive safely all. Remember...most municipalities in the US are seeing downturns in sales tax revenues and need the cash...so if you still want to think of the cops as those who "Serve and Protect" rather than "Hassle and Collect"...slow it down, Mario!! :thumb:

mtn

Back
Top Bottom