Time to get out of Texas

la_morris

Advanced Member
Hello, I'm searching for the closest cool climate to central Texas for my first summer with a Fleet camper. Heat up to 80's is fine during the day as long as the nights are cool or cold. I'm thinking of the Cave Canyon area in the Chiricahuas or someplace in Gila National Forest. I know about the Sunny Flats campground in Cave Canyon. Any favorite places in the Gila NF or other ideas?

Thank you!

la_morris

I like shady Stewart CG in the Cave Canyon area of Coronado NF. Up high in the Chiricahuas, off the dirt road to Chiricahua NP, is Rustler Park CG which has recently been reopened after being burnt over by a wildfire four or five years ago. On the west side of the Chiricahuas you can find a couple of NF CGs along forested and shady Turkey Creek. Johnny Ringo's grave is along the gravel road on the drive in.

Have a fun trip!

I've done some squirrel hunting in the Gilas. I don't know it all that well, but I would recommend the area around Bear Trap CG for being remote and cool. If you're heading that way a stop at the VLA is worth your while, and if you're going that way anyway you might as well head to Pie Town for some pie.

I believe I misspoke about Bear Trap CG being in the Gilas as I think it is actually the Magdelenas. However, I think the site itself would be perfect. It is a very small (3-4 sites) CG with tables and a pit toilet, in a ravine that doesn't get much sun. I was there in the fall and it was downright cold. I suspect you might have the place to yourself.

Horseshoe said:
I believe I misspoke about Bear Trap CG being in the Gilas as I think it is actually the Magdelenas. However, I think the site itself would be perfect. It is a very small (3-4 sites) CG with tables and a pit toilet, in a ravine that doesn't get much sun. I was there in the fall and it was downright cold. I suspect you might have the place to yourself.
You got me interested so I decided to look it up.
Here it is:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cibola/recarea/?recid=64068

Back
Top Bottom