Tiny Houses

Wouldn't necessarily need a utility hook up. Could easily have solar.

And a custom built mobile home isn't a bad thing. Mobiles homes tend to be crap for quality and definitely not so mobile since they need a flatbed to move them, so why not build something affordable with decent quality that a person can tow with their own truck?

I'm no fan of hipsters, but y'all seem remarkably cynical to something that while yes trendy, also has some good ideas and applications. It's not like we're talking about beard decorating or playing Pokemon Go. :)

Bad Habit said:
But, at the end of the day, they are an upscale, trendy, custom built mobile home. Yes, they may be somewhat more mobile than what we traditionally have come to think of mobile/manufactured homes, but you would still need some sort of utility hook up. Not much different than travel trailers depicted in "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez, Maybe more upscaled and hipsterized to keep up with Facebook and the latest TV shows.
They can be whatever you choose. They can be made for living on or off grid. They can be as upscale or basic as you choose. I personally think it is a bit stupid to build $80,000 tiny houses, but to each their own.
Of course the ones you see on TV are more upscale, but I've seen a few episodes where people have had some really inexpensive basic houses built $20,000 or less. Some of them even opted for RV trailers or buses that they turned into a more traditional living spaces.

I'd prefer to rehab an old school bus. Lots of those out there could compete with the tiny houses, not to mention the customization done to "sprinter" or other large vans (check out "outsidevan.com"). There are a couple of municipalities considering changes to their codes to allow them. One is in Salida, CO area where there may be a "development" of them.(http://sprouttinyhomes.com/salida-community/) Probably sell the heck out of them, especially if there are utilities, sewer lines, etc. that becomr a part of the development. Otherwise, they'll need an RV dump site and have to pay for a weekly "honey wagon" to clean the dump every week. To me, that is the big issue with any mobile unit, be it an old school bus, a van, slide in or a tiny home. Gotta poop somewhere! Oh, and those "loft" bedrooms. I don't want to crawl into my bed at night. Ugh. Signed, "old hipster...."

munchmeister:
I'm stuck in Terre Haute, In right now at an RV place waiting on a part to (hopefully) fix my furnace. Had a chat with the guy who was testing my electrics. He was impressed with the quality of my FWC and we talked about what poor quality most RVs are. They really are junk. He said "folks should build out a school bus instead". I said I want a 4x4 van :)

It's easy enough to poop in a port-a-potti, but it does get old. Plumbing is nice! On my travels, I take advantage of gas stations and rest stops!
That said, if I had a Tiny House I'd have a composting toilet. Those are handy!

I like school bus conversions as well. It's always interesting looking characters that I see driving them. I always smile when I see a stove pipe coming out of the top of one :)

image.jpeg
Not my home, but my home away from home in the winter. Saves me thousands in lodging costs at ski resorts. I'm building one right now on a Ford 750 that will be over 300 square feet.

riz said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Not my home, but my home away from home in the winter. Saves me thousands in lodging costs at ski resorts. I'm building one right now on a Ford 750 that will be over 300 square feet.
Super cool. I'm a contractor and we build in the $200-$300/SF range; mostly high end remodels.
Not counting the cost of the tractor, aka Ford 750, I wonder how similar our costs might be.
Granted this is an apples and grapefruit comparison.
Meanwhile, my 70SF Sprinter build awaits a similar budget process. :oops:

The "Tiny House" craze is fueled by people with different goals....some are downsizing, some are looking for a small house for a vacation lot they own, some are young couples who want the freedom to blow their dough on travel or other pursuits. I'm sure there are others. One couple on TV was taking the $50,000 from the sale of their house to buy a "Tiny House"....and they had THREE young kids? They guy was like, 6' 4" and maybe 240 lbs and didn't even fit into the SHOWER stall? That made no sense to me...

In some states your taxes on property with a "house" that has a foundation would be much higher than a "movable" house. Mobile home parks have a name that indicates they are "mobile" but actually once they arrive they never leave and owners only "rented" the wheels and tires to have them moved!

Based on their usage, RVs are meant to be on the highway all their lifetime. Mobile homes just sit on blocks until tornados remove them so they don't require the framing an RV does. A Tiny House is just a flatbed trailer with a house built on it and it probably is more like a mobile home than an RV and the prices are commensurate.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

PackRat said:
The "Tiny House" craze is fueled by people with different goals....some are downsizing, some are looking for a small house for a vacation lot they own, some are young couples who want the freedom to blow their dough on travel or other pursuits. I'm sure there are others. One couple on TV was taking the $50,000 from the sale of their house to buy a "Tiny House"....and they had THREE young kids? They guy was like, 6' 4" and maybe 240 lbs and didn't even fit into the SHOWER stall? That made no sense to me...
That's just plain stupid. Now of course there a families of 20 that live in mud huts, but come on. The point of a tiny house isn't to get less than you need, it's to get what you need and no more. You need to be able to fit into your shower. If you need a full sized shower, you get one. Kids need a bit of privacy and space as well.

Some of this stuff gets a little bit off the chart and we have to shake our heads.

IMG_1225.JPG

Here is the foundation of my brothers tiny house. It looks huge to me :oops:

From what I understand the actual tiny house is being built by students in a carpentry school and they will be graded on the project.

It's pretty cool to see the trailer as a start. I look forward to seeing the finished product. It will be parked on a vacation property that my brother owns in Point Roberts, USA.

Gold stars to Riz and Vic! Love it!

I've literally had the same thought/discussion about buying land and putting tiny houses/small cottages on it with friends..whole separate philosophical discussion but from the standpoint of having a community and one own's possibly more affordable space, especially as I get older, I like it...That said for tiny homes, I can't imagine sharing the smallest space with one other person - thinking toilet, specifically! Oi... :oops:

I wanted a cabin on land but due to varying factors it isn't feasible for a chunk of years, hence I went with Alaskan Camper ( along with other reasons ) I call it my Wee Cabin on a 4x4. This also justifies the crap I'm putting in it heh

Moose Dog - my best friend and I have been having that same discussion for a few years now! Especially as we're getting older and a number of us are single and that way we could have community, but still have our own space.

I've been looking at land - I want 5 acres someplace pretty. Ideally SW area. :)
I'd put a tiny house, or some equivalent on it. Land hasta have water, and I'd install solar.

I fell in love with Earthships in the mid-1990's, but unless I had a crew to build it, that ain't gonna happen.

Until now all the trailers that they've brought into my park were older models that got remodeled. Recently this one showed up. Brand spanking new and looks to be a bit smaller than a typical single wide.

All the utilities are hooked up, why they haven't finished the skirting and installed stairs I have no idea. One of these days I'll find out square footage. Interestingly it has no manufacturer name anywhere I can see.

I’m like all of you. Considering a tiny house to have a home base during my travels. However I love the Aspens and the mountains so maybe that could be the spring through Fall? I would love to share some acreage with others. Sort of a community when you need it but still be single when you want. Good idea all of you! Oh and I love the school bus idea. Could be one heck of a tiny home!

Back
Top Bottom