Tioga Pass from the Air

gallery_176_163_182713.jpg

Based on the table above, I'm going to predict June 15 for an opening date. Shall we start a pool?

This winter has been compared to 94/95 when we also had a huge amount of snow.
We were up at our cabin in Dorrington the end of June beginning of July and Ebbetts Pass didn't open until the first few days of July.
In fact there were people skiing the slopes at Bear Valley.
I have some old photos of our daughters at Mosquito Lakes with over 4' of snow the day the pass opened.
It's going to be a while.
Frank

I think some date in mid July.. One year they pushed to open before Memorial day weekend and they did. They did not wait long enough and the base material under the road was too saturated just beyond the pass. End result was a failure of the asphalt and closed road to rebuild it.

Update June 6

Tioga Road
June 6, 2017 (updated about twice per week)
National Park Service road crews (plowing eastbound) and Caltrans road crews (plowing westbound) have met at Tioga Pass. Within the park, road crews are working on parking lots, side roads, and portions of the road that are only plowed one lane wide. Crews are also removing debris from the roadway, culverts, and ditches. Three avalanche zones are still active
Road opening is not imminent; much work still remains before the road will be safe to open. The Tioga Road is closed from South Fork Bridge (6.5 miles east of Tuolumne Grove/NatureBridge in the Crane Flat area) to Tioga Pass.

Going Friday. Lunch at Whoa Nellie Deli.

Yosemite National Park

43 mins ·

Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) will open on Thursday, June 29, at 8 am! No food, lodging, or gas will be available along the road. Tamarack Flat Campground will be the only open campground (it fills early every day). While the road will be open, hikers should expect snowy and/or flooded conditions on trails. Please stop by the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center (open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm) to get trail conditions before hiking in the area.

Back
Top Bottom