Titus Canyon

Hi Darryl,

Late fall and spring are the best months in DV as Kcowyo and TT say. Winter is ok but there can be some wicked cold winds with blowing sand and even snow.

I always suggest a sidetrip to Historic Butte Valley to those with four-wheel drive and plenty of clearance. You can grab a hot, solar-shower at Russel Camp. Don't forget to raise the flag to let others who might be passing by know you're there.

Call the DVNP headquarters to make sure the roads are all open. Heavy rains have washed out Titus Cyn road many times over the years.

Below is Historic Butte Valley from an overlook in the Panamint Range in April '08. Stiped Butte is the lump down below. The main road from DV can be seen crossing the valley left to right toward the Geologist's Cabin. Notorious Mengel Pass, off towards the Barker Ranch and Charlie Manson's last stand, is at the nearer skyline. Recently, the scattered bones of four Germans, lost since the '90s, were found off in the mountains to the left. (Click thumbnail for larger view.)

ButteVsm.jpg

A shot of Russel Camp in April '08. Stop here for a hot shower and enjoy the great views from the patio. (Click for larger view.)

RusCampsm.jpg

Of course Titus is closed now from the last rains. Seems like it can closes for weeks or months at a time. Fall seems best to me as well.

Of course Titus is closed now from the last rains. Seems like it can closes for weeks or months at a time. Fall seems best to me as well.

I was there for New Years and it was great. There were lots of people in the main areas obviously because it was holiday time but the place is so darn big it never felt crowded. As long as you stay clear of the hot months and the rain, Titus is a beautiful drive.

Darryla,

I posted a bunch of pictures of the Titus Canyon drive on this trip report:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2829/

I was going to suggest that Darryl camp at Texas Springs, back in Furnace Creek, but I suppose that might be washed out again, too.

It seems the National Park Service is quick to close Titus Cyn after a gullywasher since it is so often used by city folks driving sedans this time of year. Those Audis are likely to high center on the least bit of gravel.

By the way, Darryl, did you ever get up to Sequoia NP? Got any picture?

Darryla,

I posted a bunch of pictures of the Titus Canyon drive on this trip report:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2829/

Rich,

Great pics of Titus Cyn from your recent trip to DV. I noticed near the end of your thread a picture of your rig at the Charcoal Kilns. Did you make it further up the road to Mahogany Flat Campground or was it snowed in? In the summer Mahogany Flat, at 9000 ft or so, is the only place to camp out of the valley's heat.

Hi All: Thank you all very much for the info. I think we will head down that area mid to late March. No Stew, we did not make it to Sequoia. That is the other area I plan to explore as soon as the snow dies down. We went up the coast (Fort Bragg, north) and learned that was a bad idea on a holiday weekend. I should have just camped in San Francisco. We spent the night pretty far up north and came home. I am not too good with the community camping stuff. Unfortunately, I prefer a little space as I am sure most of you do. That's why we have an ATC or Four Wheel. There's nothing like them.

This year I will take some pics for you guys. I am also going a little stir crazy and need to get out.

Again, I appreciate all of the info and ideas I get from this site. I went to some great places last year from ideas I learned about on this forum.

Thanks, all.

Darryl

Hi All: Thank you all very much for the info. I think we will head down that area mid to late March. No Stew, we did not make it to Sequoia. That is the other area I plan to explore as soon as the snow dies down. We went up the coast (Fort Bragg, north) and learned that was a bad idea on a holiday weekend. I should have just camped in San Francisco. We spent the night pretty far up north and came home. I am not too good with the community camping stuff. Unfortunately, I prefer a little space as I am sure most of you do. That's why we have an ATC or Four Wheel. There's nothing like them.

This year I will take some pics for you guys. I am also going a little stir crazy and need to get out.

Again, I appreciate all of the info and ideas I get from this site. I went to some great places last year from ideas I learned about on this forum.

Thanks, all.

Darryl

Darryl,

With all the rain and snow this winter, March should be great for flowers. I hope you like flowers. It also attracts the tourist.

That time of year Texas Springs, if you aren't going to camp in the wilds, is the preferred campground in Furnace Creek. Only tents and small RVs are let in, plus, no generators! Showers are across the highway at the motel.

Back
Top Bottom