To Flatbed or not to Flatbed?

I don't think that we'd really make use of the additional interior space of a flatbed model. External storage is something else entirely. There is stuff inside the camper that I have nowhere else to stash that doesn't need to be inside. I'm not sold on a service bed, partly because of their weight & partly because of their lack of ground clearance. Also I'm more than a little concerned about what would end up in all of that storage. Debated cutting one until it had decent ground clearance & concluded that would be a huge project - may as well start from scratch as then all of the compromises made would be mine.

My little 7 foot aluminum flatbed is done. You don't see many 1/2 tons with flatbeds so I thought I would post a picture.

Because the back of the F150 cab looks unfinished once the box is removed, I added the little extensions to hide that problem. The deck height is only 3" higher than the original box floor height was which I am pleased with. Even with the sides, the truck weighted in 65 lbs lighter with the flatbed than with the box.

i-kMLrDcb-M.jpg

Very nice fab job, Mr. Manx! Looks super clean, but where are the stake pockets?
Or is this rig intended for F/T camper mount?

Lighthawk said:
Very nice fab job, Mr. Manx! Looks super clean, but where are the stake pockets?
Or is this rig intended for F/T camper mount?
Thanks. Yes it's a dedicated camper deck. Will only be removing the camper for storage during the winter months. Have the Tacoma and a utility trailer to do chores with.

Did you have thoughts of adding boxes underneath? Or did you not have the room?

Vento said:
Did you have thoughts of adding boxes underneath? Or did you not have the room?
Yes, with such a short deck, there wasn't much room and the left front side has the gas tank filler neck so that area couldn't be used at all.

When I calculated the weight of the materials and the work to make the storage compartments in the other three corners it just didn't make sense for how little they would hold.

The camper has a fair amount of storage space and I'm removing the rear seats from the truck and building storage shelves back there. Between the camper and the truck we will have more than enough room.

Way cool, did you make it or have someone fab it up for you?

Vento said:
Way cool, did you make it or have someone fab it up for you?
My metal fabrication skills are "hobby" level only, mostly limited to making some basic parts for my motorcycles.

In my town, we have an aluminum fabrication shop that makes aluminum bodies for Jeeps and extreme off road vehicles like the ones you see on trails like Hell's Revenge and Metal Masher in Moab. They know about the stresses of off roading and were great about keeping the deck as close as possible to my design.

Their experience combined with the time we spent with CADD and the engineering dept gives me total confidence in the deck. Glad I didn't try to make it :oops:

i-p3kzDtx-L.jpg

Bigfoot said:
Under cons the flatbed installation will require custom mounts, rear lamps and fuel filler. In particular the fuel filler on modern trucks, especially diesel, can be sensitive as to angle and height. Finally, the flatbed makes the truck and camper more of a unique, integrated unit that will be difficult to upgrade should either need to be replaced. It's a commitment.
I was expecting and dreading the "slow fill" associated with the lowered fuel filler. Mine is 9" lower than it was from the factory. With a fuel capacity of 132 litres, I didn't want to spend 15 minutes trying to fill it up each time I needed gas.

Even with the inlet at such a low angle upwards, maybe 10 degrees, it takes fuel as fast as the pump will dispense it. What a great surprise. With all the trips planned over the next few years, long stops at fuel stations would have been really inconvenient.

i-9HLdzpL-L.jpg

Good thread. I already have a flatbed on my truck and I really looking at getting one of these flatbed shells.

Back
Top Bottom