To Fridge or not to Fridge?

97grandby

Hi All, I'm new to the boards. I've had a four wheel camper on and off for the last 15 years. I have a 1987 grandby and now just baught a 1997 grandby that I found at what I think is a good price. The New camper is pretty bare bones. I'm trying to decide if I want to add a compressor fridge in the old ice box slot, or if I would just be happier with a compressor cooler ie engel or arb. If I get rid of the fridge I can put my atwood stove I picked up on ebay in it and have a 3 burner stove and a oven. I would put the cooler up in front behind there driver seat. I already have a 220 solar system and 225 amp hours worth of batteries from another camper project that will be installed so Power is not really a concern. (I hope)....Thanks again for your wisdom. ImageUploadedByWander The West1445309932.379038.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1445309959.943195.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1445309978.901467.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1445310016.619396.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Check with Jay Aranow (Chnlisle here on WTW) if you are interested in an Engel. I bought one prior to a boat trip to Lake Powell, and it worked great. You could use the icebox for storage if the stove idea doesn't work.

I have spoken with jay and he has given me some great pricing on each option. I will buy one from him for sure, just trying to figure out which works better. In my Toy Hauler I have a 3 way fridge and have just never been happy with it. (I live in Las Vegas, NV) Wondering if its worth having a dedicated fridge or a cooler I can take on other car trips etc.

97grandby,

That is a fine looking camper. I think you are onto a great start with that camper.
Hope you post many great pictures as you put together your new rig.

And you should totally hook up your brother who helped you get it.

I like having access to the fridge from the area where I cook (stovetop, sink, table). I had an oven in a previous camper and while I liked the idea of being able to make lots of different stuff, I only used it twice in 7 years. I don't miss the oven at all.

Thanks dr J- I think the brother who helped me find it on wtw will get a solid hand made card as a thank you. Soon as I can get my truck out of the shop I will be on my way to Idaho to pick it up and let the camper mods begin.

I've had an oven in my toy hauler and I have used it almost every time we have gone out. I have a 5 year old that is a picky eater and we like to make apple cobbler when we go. So I think I would use the oven a fair amount. But you have a great point about the access into a fridge. Using the baskets in the top opening cooler would a pain to get everything in there the way I would like.

I don't want for an oven, but obviously everyone has different needs. I bake outdoors with a Dutch oven, because it's fun. I really don't bake much though even though it's one of the best parts of the trip (Dutch oven cooking can get addictive). So, a dedicated oven in the camper wouldn't ever be used. A refrigerator though, I would expect to use on every trip. The 3-way fridge probably doesn't work as well as a new compressor fridge will.

Since you've used both a fridge and oven you probably know best what you actually use.

I think the top-loading fridges probably have an edge in efficiency. I know someone who installed a top-loader in the camper, on a slider under the counter. I do think it would be a pain to have the fridge in the cab when you're cooking or relaxing in the camper.

Congratulations on the find!

I have a fridge because I got tired of having to break camp just to find ice. Bought a used hawk that had a 3 way fridge, I can run the fridge over 2 weeks on propane in hot weather. As JHansen said, someone here has their Engel mounted on a pull out shelf, that might let you use the oven and have a fridge also.

We ordered our 2015 Hawk without a fridge because on most of our trips we're so busy there is no time for meals at the camper. The extra storage space is a nice benefit. We did purchased a portable Truckfridge for tailgating and longer trips and it works quite well. I recently had the Truckfridge in the back of my Jeep for a week in Moab. That cooler got beat to death in the back of the Jeep for a week and never skipped a beat.

Back
Top Bottom