Tofte Ski Trip

takesiteasy

Attachments

• IMG_1624 small.jpg
    IMG_1624 small.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for report. That's amazing country. I spent a week backpacking along the shore in Pukaskwa National Park in Canada some years ago and found it the most challenging terrain I've ever hiked. I can only imagine what it would be like in winter.

Ski- I was rockin' the 3pins this weekend. Total vintage Norwegian gear- wood skis, leather 3pin boots and bamboo poles- all from the 70's. Handmade (by me) wood and rawhide snowshoes too. I imagine you would appreciate that.

N'kwala- we are planning a circumnavigation of Lake Superior by camper this coming summer or fall. Pukaskwa National Park will be on our itinerary. We are looking forward to seeing it. The stretch from Rockport to Sault Ste. Marie is the only part of the Superior Shore I haven't yet seen.

Thanks for the comments.

takesiteasy said:
Ski- I was rockin' the 3pins this weekend. Total vintage Norwegian gear- wood skis, leather 3pin boots and bamboo poles- all from the 70's. Handmade (by me) wood and rawhide snowshoes too. I imagine you would appreciate that.
Yes I do! Sure noticed the wood and the cow! :)

What kick wax for the temps?

We both still have a pair of wood knicker ski pants. Darn hard to find socks.

ski3pin said:
What kick wax for the temps?

We both still have a pair of wood knicker ski pants. Darn hard to find socks.
It was about 16°F when we were skiing with a good wind. I used the Swix VR40 Blue with blue glide. Worked at least as well as the Norwegian Olympic wax, haha. Probably could have gone a bit harder on the kick wax. Snow was an interesting mix of fresh, wind blown and packed. Glide was intermittently poor and then good. Kick was mostly good. The downhills were fun.

Here's some sox for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-WIGWAM-Foot-Hugger-Knicker-Socks-SKI-HIKE-WOOL-NYLON-WINTER-Knee-SOCKS-9-11-/151238459037 :)

takesiteasy, spoke with a friend that flew out (annual family event) from California to do the American Birkebeiner the previous weekend. Made me think of you.

ski3pin said:
takesiteasy, spoke with a friend that flew out (annual family event) from California to do the American Birkebeiner the previous weekend. Made me think of you.
Ski, I've never done it- quite the winter traadition for many though. Picture 10,000 skiers and 20,000 spectators! I'm heading up to Tofte again in a couple of weeks.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Interesting to see the lake all frozen.
Thanks Al for the report.
Frank
Frank, I've heard the big lake has had this extent of ice only 3 times since records have been kept- testimony to our unusually cold winter. We are now at 50 days with below-zero temps, 8 in a row to today. A warm up is coming though we hear. We are ready.

Great report! We just got back from Brevort Lake , in the UP of MI for a "sledding" (not my term- I prefer snowmobiling) trip. It was my first time and I must say, not my thing. I'd much prefer to try snowshoeing or cross country skiing and enjoy more of the scenery and serenity over hearing the high pitch screech of the two cycle and smell of octane....blah. Your trip looks way more my style. Glad you enjoyed!

4buckeye, I agree. I see the snowmobile as a useful work machine but not a recreational pursuit. We almost got run over by a couple of speed demons coming around a bend- we were crossing the trail on snowshoes. They are noisy and smelly as you say, they can go too fast for the conditions or the driver's skill and just don't match up with my idea of fun. I love the special quiet that comes to the north woods in winter.

Back
Top Bottom