Too old to shoulder press kayaks

Wango

Contributors
Hi all,
New camper is being built, am currently finishing up getting the basics together to put the beast together.
We have three road trips planned for next year. Two involve taking our seakayaks, total weight is nearing 100 lbs. Our build includes roof lifter thingys, I have purchased and used the speaker stands, and for some circumstances have found these ok. My current camper does not have the lifter things. The last time we left both boats on the roof of current camper, wife had a panic attack, and I about lost a kidney.
So, my question is, on the new camper, with the lifter things, do you most knowledgeable folks think I will be able to raise and lower said roof with or without the speaker stands. Or, should I look for alternative options.
As I mentioned earlier, camper is on it's way. Am hoping to have most of the peripheral purchases done by then. And have it complete by the first road trip in spring(yearly desert odyssey).
Thanks,
w

My 2¢ worth... The external gas struts help a LOT, far more than internals, but don't get rid of your crank lift until you've tried the boats on the new camper. My new Bobcat almost lifts itself with 30 & 40 lb struts, and a 150 watt panel. I think another 100 pounds wouldn't be fun. I suspect I will either take the boats off, or make another speaker lift system like I had on the Grandby.

Have you talked to Marty or Jeff to get their thoughts?

Sage,
we have spoken a bit about this. And about a million other things. I will most likely use the speaker stands as well. Also thinking of some kind of lift mechanism. May have to take them off of the camper otherwise.
Thanks for the tips.
w

For what it's worth, I 'once' lifted my roof with two white water boats on it. Since then I remove them prior to lifting the roof, especially sea kayaks. I have the external gas struts and do not use any internal assistance.

I was concerned with accessing our kayaks as well and just decided to get a trailer to tow them. It has an added benefit to be able to carry more stuff as well.

So far so good...

Back
Top Bottom