top bunks space

FX4

Google will not tell me.

What is the height of the top bunk from mattress to ceiling.Will my wife be able to sit up to read in bed.

Thanks for your help

Google will not tell me.

What is the height of the top bunk from mattress to ceiling.Will my wife be able to sit up to read in bed.

Thanks for your help

It is 32 inches. A tight fit. Might work with enough pillows and not sitting fully upright. Also need to deal with light issue. We often use headlamps but tend to read on the lower couch before we pull out the bed.

Thanks HR,appreciate the info.

Just measured me wife and she will fit at 32 :)

My Hawk is still in the ordering stage ,I better pencil in a bunk light

You can get an additonal 2 inches with that option from All Terrain Campers.

""Extra 2 inches would be nice ",says the Wife with a big grin on her face. :)

Kidding aside,does ATC have a Canadian depot and installers .That is an important factor for me ,when it comes to purchasing from the big three,
FWC,ATC or Phoenix.FWC delivers and install In Ontario ,about a 14 hr drive .
I do like the cougar pictures in your signature

I just measured a few Hawk Models out in the showroom and shop.

A normal Hawk Model measures 27 1/2" - 28" from the bed mattress up to the ceiling of the camper.

We can make this a little taller if you want for a small fee.

It would require slightly taller folding lift panels, but we can do it.

:)

Just thought I would throw it out there, and also make sure you have the correct measurements to start with.

We don't want the customer to have any surprises.

Thank you.

:)

minor hijack,I really liked "me wife"! A bit of the pirate in ye?

We all be rum smuggling pirates in New Scotland :)

Thanks for the Measurements Stan.As long as it does not affect the canvas ,more would be nice.I will ask Gary about a price quote next time we speak/email

Thanks HR,appreciate the info.

Just measured me wife and she will fit at 32 :)

My Hawk is still in the ordering stage ,I better pencil in a bunk light

I am now looking into something more comfortable than a pillow e.g. Therma-a-rest Trecker Lounge Chair or the Travelchair Paddler chair. If you tilt these back you get a more comfortable position, better back support and maybe less headroom needed.
Check out the overhead light before you spend extra money on a reading light. It may work you.

I am now looking into something more comfortable than a pillow e.g. Therma-a-rest Trecker Lounge Chair or the Travelchair Paddler chair. If you tilt these back you get a more comfortable position, better back support and maybe less headroom needed.
Check out the overhead light before you spend extra money on a reading light. It may work you.

great idea, I will Google those alternatives , Thanks HR

great idea, I will Google those alternatives , Thanks HR

I just noted Stan's measure for a Hawk was 27 inches not my 32. My camper is an Eagle so perhaps it has more head room than a Hawk. But I doubt it.
More likely we are making different assumption about how and when you will read in bed. My measure was for the bed fully pulled out and the mattress at a single thickness as would then be the case. If you read in bed before the bed is pulled out you will have two mattresses piled on top of each other and then you will have less head room. The thickness of the mattress will also depend on whether you get the longer overhang (4") or the standard overhang (2").
So I think you will find something like the following:
Standard overhang single mattress 32inches
Longer overhang single mattress 30 inches
standard double mattress 29-30 inches
Longer overhang double mattress 26 inches

Having given a bit more thought to this I see reasons for the Hawk to have less over bed head room than the Eagle. You had better use Stan's numbers as those are from a Hawk, and he certainly knows a great deal more than I do. But check to see which configuration he was using.

You can get an additonal 2 inches with that option from All Terrain Campers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the extra 2'' from ATC just put it at the regular height of a FWC? In other words, don't standard ATC's have less headroom than FWC?

At least that is what I remember from the research I did.

Thanks for the input all.

Looking around more, I have found a lot of variance in cab over head room from all types of camper type .

Some BIG TC had as much as 4 feet .Most class C are around 30 inch. One TC pop up had a wee 23 inch.

So I guess FWC is walking the middle of the pack at 27/28 inch :) but I will look into Stan's suggestion .

Speaking as someone who likes to read in bed, would I like more room? Sure. Is it a bit cramped for reading? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No. A camper isn't like living at home, you make the best of it.

Is getting up at 2am to pee and looking up at the stars and forgetting why you got up part of it? Oh yeah.

Thanks for the input all.

Looking around more, I have found a lot of variance in cab over head room from all types of camper type .

Some BIG TC had as much as 4 feet .Most class C are around 30 inch. One TC pop up had a wee 23 inch.

So I guess FWC is walking the middle of the pack at 27/28 inch :) but I will look into Stan's suggestion .

More complications. Today I noticed the following "The Ford F150 has the deepest bed in the industry at 23 inches. Therefore, a Hawk built for the F150 will sit six inches above the side of the access cab Tundra. Any other Hawk that is not built specfically for a Tundra will sit 4 inches above the Tundra bed walls."
So not all Hawks are the same. Not sure how this effects bed to ceiling distance but better check with Stan.

Speaking as someone who likes to read in bed, would I like more room? Sure. Is it a bit cramped for reading? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No. A camper isn't like living at home, you make the best of it.

Is getting up at 2am to pee and looking up at the stars and forgetting why you got up part of it? Oh yeah.

At my age forgetting that I got up to pee would not be a great Idea when jumpin/crawlin back into a top bunk :LOL:

You must have a bug in my house :) and are listening to our nightly before bed chat

Me wife "did you take your pills" yes dear, " Brush your teeth" yes dear, "have a Pee " yes dear,
"than ,come to bed old man", yes dear.

"How You Doin'..?"

"Go to sleep you old fool " Yes dear :(

At my age forgetting that I got up to pee would not be a great Idea when jumpin/crawlin back into a top bunk :LOL:

You must have a bug in my house :) and are listening to our nightly before bed chat

Me wife "did you take your pills" yes dear, " Brush your teeth" yes dear, "have a Pee " yes dear,
"than ,come to bed old man", yes dear.

"How You Doin'..?"

"Go to sleep you old fool " Yes dear :(

me wench gives me a different answer. :D

craig333 Wrote

"The joys of aging. Well its better than the alternative :p "
good point :)

sky3pin wrote

"me wench gives me a different answer. :D "
you be a lucky matey :)

Back
Top Bottom