Top half hold downs?

nixfwc

Just got from Baja with my Four Wheel camper where we saw many huge pot holes and some bad back country roads. Four wheel did fine but it started me thinking about my Alaskan in the same country. What is it that holds the top half of Alaskan down when going down the road. Mine does not have any kind of elastic bump stops either. I worry that the top would hammer away at itself unless it was securely held down. Ratchet strap over the top? I may put rubber stoppers on my rear top rests and bumpers under the front stops just to absorb some of the shock. Anyone else tried this? Or has anyone had theirs in rough off road conditions?Thanks.

Not so sure I would add rubber bumpers. When the top is fully down there are tapered pins in the rear corners( at least on a cab over) that keep the top from moving forward and aft, and also sideways. Of you install rubber bumpers the top won't go all the way down and the upper half holes 3/8"ish will on the smaller part of the taper, not the full 3/8" part, which will allow it to move.
Some kind of tie down seems to be recommended, as the top can lift at hi way speeds. ( especially if you have a Fwd window open to build positive pressure to keep the dust down.
These things are not really built to be bounced around like a lighter aluminum frame fwc.

I have taken my Alaskan to Baja a number of times, never had a problem. And yes 4 wheel drive off road, the alaskan handles it fine.
They where built for the Alaska hwy before pavement . Mine is stock I have not add anything.
I have had problems with my tye down system to the truck, had that fixed in the middle of Baja now it does not move on my truck and they made it very simple to tye down.

The only time I had my top lift was when the front window was open.

As long as the camper is tyed down so that it can not move back and forth you can take them anywhere without worry.

Ripperj, where are the pins you are describing? I don t see them on my 75 8 ft cab over. Also where are putting your Hydroflame heater? After much deliberating, I decided to put my Hydroflame 8500 in the space that the original heater was installed on the left rear side. It is a tight fit but I as able to get it in there.
MikeS what sort of tie downs did you end up using? I have yet to fabricate mine but have Happy Jacks on my truck. I plan to reinforce the forward corners before I mount any tie downs. Did you have to reinforce your corners? Glad to know it will handle the off road work OK. Trip to Baja was fantastic and I look forward to more explorations there with the Alaskan.

My pins are in the rear corners. The pins stick up vertical from the lower half, the holes are in a small triangle plate welded to the top of the upper rear corner bracket. Depending on who you ask my 8CO is anywhere from late 60s to mid 80s, maybe these pins are not installed on all years???

They've installed locking pins on a series including the 04's...and there are problems associated with those "pins"....

No secret, I'm on the lookout for a CO unit to project up....and one I found not to long ago had the forward locking pins next to the truck cab...with serious damage...the problem...electrically driven hydraulics for the lift....without a pressure limiting switch to shut it off if there is an obstruction holding the top down...as in...pin's left in place...really tore up the corner...and both sides

I've got a 1970 10' NCO...never had a problem with top lift....secret...keep your pirelli seals in good shape and your windows shut while traveling ...the updraft created when you get air infiltration into the camper does have the capability to lift the top....by restricting the airflow into the camper when travelling....you eliminate..or seriously restrict the possibility of updraft.

The holes in the upper section corners are for alignment when lowering and keeping the sections aligned while traveling.

here goes "low tech,good ol' boy" solution.on my 10' nco ,i used ratchet straps from top rack brackets on all four corners to old fashioned stake hole inserts. on our '75 10'co, i had to put small brackets on outside of front forward sections. i just hooked the bracket to the upper most slide bolt on both sides. works great. never had a lift problem. i did, however, leave the front window cracked in the nco once, and got everything wet on the inside from a 4hr drive in heavy rain. not my brightest moment.

wes

The pins I am referring to don't lock the top down, they just keep the top aligned to the bottom in the down position.

Attachments

• 20140327060743.jpg
    20140327060743.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 20140327060757.jpg
    20140327060757.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 234
mine doesn't have those pins. they might be able to be adapted to be lock-downs. can you thread that spike to put a nut and washer or drill to put a pin through it? i've never had problems with sideways or forward/backwards movement. the slides seem to keep everything in place. i have never been on wild and crazy terrain though.

wes

My Alaskan does not have pins or holes either. I believe mine is a 77, perhaps it was an idea that did not work out. Still considering some kind of tie down for the top half. Through bolt or strap or latching buckle like on a Four Wheel. Thanks for the info.

My Alaskan is new and has a bolt that installs behind the cab and holds the two halves together.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I don't know if they've installed limit switches on the hydraulics for the top...if they haven't be careful...make sure you've got it out before you raise the top. I've seen some real disasters....ugh

Nice rig Florida...there is another flatbed here....really custom job

BluesideUp has put a ton of time into his

Back
Top Bottom