Top highway speed

Shawn S

How fast are you all driving on the highway/interstate?

I have been doing 75 without issue. Do some of you drive faster than that with your Alaskan on your truck

I was lucky to hit 50 before I installed the Timbrens due to the sway. Post timbrens we keep it to 65. No issues with wind or sway at higher speeds though. Our stays on full time, averaging about 13-14 mpg on a Ram 2500.

Not an Alaskan, but with our ATC we can cruise at the posted speed. 80mph in some states is a bit fast, but for short stretches (think passing) we have gone much faster.:oops: Oh, and we have averaged 15.3mpg over the last 40K miles.

Our rig will cruise along very comfortably at 80mph. That said, we have found the staying around 65 is the best balance for speed and fuel economy. We get a steady 16.3mpg. Often we are towing the boat so need to stay at 55-58 (at least in CA).

Thank you everyone, that is helpful. I wanted to make sure we weren't pushing it. It drives nice, we get right in that 15-15.5 range like you Vic. I feel like we could go 80, but I like that 15 mpg so haven't pushed it that far.

In my younger years, I was a left-laner going as fast as I could get away with. But now we try not to exceed 65 (usually we drive at 60 max). It's surprising how many people are hanging out in the right lane going our speed. I tend to watch the rear view mirror more than what's in front to make sure I'm not holding up traffic, and it's so much more relaxing. In our setup, there's a large hit on gas mileage going fast. The air drag at 80 mpg vs 60 mph is (80 / 60) squared, or 78% more drag.

Back
Top Bottom