Top of Mount Diablo Dec 7th

billharr

Just once a year they light up the beacon. This year it should be clear and you will be able to see the shadow go across the valley. I can not make it this year, post pictures if anyone does go.

Events

Every year on December 7 the aircraft beacon atop the summit building is illuminated from sunset to dawn. A ceremony memorializing the attack on Pearl Harbor on this day in 1941 is held at the summit, with some of the few remaining survivors who are present. The public is welcome and visitors on this day should enter the park before 4:00 PM. General parking will be at the lower lot on these days, with a short uphill walk by trail or road to the summit. Visitors may leave later than usual — this is one of the few opportunities to view the sunset from the peak, weather permitting, without an overnight stay.

Under cloudless conditions, more interesting than the sunset itself is the view of the progression of the mountain's shadow across the California Central Valley to the distant Sierra Nevada, finally appearing for a few moments above the horizon as a shadow in the post-sunset sky glow.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll take a drive up there tomorrow afternoon.

Post some pictures, I wish I could make it.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom