torklift steps

penner

We are looking at getting a set of Torklift steps for our camper. Since we got the camper we have been using the plastic 2 step that ATC gave us when we picked the camper up. We have switched trucks now and the camper will be sitting higher off the ground so the 2 step isn't going to work. The bottom of the camper door will be about 34" off the ground . Could someone tell me how they attach theirs under the door so they can be removed easily. Also , if someone could post pics I would appreciate it. OR, maybe there is another, cheaper, option?? Thanks, Glen.

We bought the Brophy steps from etrailer and they have served us well although they are not perfect.
First issue is that you lose your trailer hitch. Second is that they wobble around in the receiver hitch & seem unstable until you get used to them or use a hitch tightener.
Third is that the bottom step hangs down too low. We mangled our bottom step dropping over a curb in Moab which eliminated our using that step until we could heat it enough to bend it back after we got back home.
Fourth is that the bottom step doesn’t always hang down enough to make it easy for that first step up in some situations.
Fifth is that the steps can eat shins in low light.

Don’t let this discourage you. There are solutions to the problems. Bosque Bill has an excellent solution to the bottom step too low.

We carry a short plastic stool anyway that makes stepping up to the lower step easy. In the dark, it is great knowing that when backing out of the camper that the next step will be exactly where expected and will not slip out from under your foot. A strip of glow in the dark tape along the edge of each step makes shin contact unlikely. (Or was it muscle memory programmed by mangled shins).

There are other hitch mounted steps that address these issues but may have their own problems like price, license plate obfuscation, rattling, etc.
We’ve learned to live with the short comings. Most things are a compromise in life anyway. I would likely buy another set if I lost or destroyed them.

Paul

I have used the torklift steps since the camper was built.
If you zoom in, you should see that there is a bar that the steps are connected to.
i use quick snap links to hold the steps to the bar.
When traveling, i take them off and sit them inside the door.

Attachments

• step .jpg
    step .jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 223
  • camper and truck.jpg
    camper and truck.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 226
I had a set of Brophy steps and sold them and just use this:

full

I turn in around for travel so it can't drag though ditches/dips.

full

I welded a second 2" receiver under my Ford factory hitch with a 1" spacer and use a step from Geny Hitch, their serrated hitch step. Can tow my boat with step in place, also all steps from the camper to bumper to step are the same distance apart

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really leaning toward the steps. Wango, PM sent.

Another option, if you have space to store it, is the little giant step stool. You can use this either as is, as a step stool, or remove the back legs and make it removable steps like the other options. I tried several options on my flatbed before arriving at this, and it definitely seemed like the most secure to use with the largest and most comfortable steps. The scissor type steps really didn't feel very stable to me, particularly on uneven ground. It is relatively light and inexpensive, but takes up a lot of space (not an issue with a flatbed drawer).

full

full

The Easy Hitch Step is substantial, and it does weigh over 30 lbs. What it offers is unmatched stability for entering and exiting the camper.

Missing Link said:
Take a look at these. They solve most of the issues that PaulT mentioned regarding the Brophy steps. We have had the two step model on our F150/Hawk for four years and absolutely love them. A bit pricy but in my opinion, well worth it.

https://www.easyhitchstep.com/

I have the 3 step little giant. Very stable and not nearly as spendy as some other options :) Also moveable in case you need to access something else :)

Back
Top Bottom