Toronto-Hood River-Anchorage-Vancounver Island

We live in Bellingham, WA near the Canadian border if you want to stop by, spend the night (we have 6 rural acres that is fairly secluded), and get refreshed before you cross the border. No FWC yet but have on order for delivery mid-July (?). We are an easy mile+ off I5. But you may want to take alternative routes: Hwy 9 or come through the east side of Washington through the North Cascades and Hyw 20 which is just beginning to be cleared (late start this year) to avoid the mess that is Seattle and environs. Or any of the other passes like Hwy 2 that ends in Everett. Have a wonderful adventure and keep us posted.

Taking your time. By chance are you going thru Sault St Marie or taking the southern route thru Chicago.

We're going to head up to the Soo and down. Did the Chicago route in the fall and want to do it the 'less developed' way this time (didn't really enjoy southern Michigan via the Sarnia,ON crossing). Thanks for the tips too.

We live in Bellingham, WA near the Canadian border if you want to stop by, spend the night

Thanks so much, we'll definitely take a note of that. Much appreciated.

We're going to head up to the Soo and down. Did the Chicago route in the fall and want to do it the 'less developed' way this time (didn't really enjoy southern Michigan via the Sarnia,ON crossing). Thanks for the tips too.

Going via Soo is going to be less developed thats for sure. If you know your route maybe I can give a few pointers if you are going thru MI or WI.

Going via Soo is going to be less developed thats for sure. If you know your route maybe I can give a few pointers if you are going thru MI or WI.

Yea we'll be crossing at the Soo and heading down and a bit west towards the start of the I90. Not too famiar with anything along that route, or along the I90. Not even sure how we'll get from the Soo to the I90 yet, so any pointers are more than welcome!

come through the east side of Washington through the North Cascades and Hyw 20 which is just beginning to be cleared (late start this year) to avoid the mess that is Seattle and environs.

If your still interested in scenic routes by the time you get this far west I also recommend the North Cascades Highway, or Hwy 20 as suggested by clikrf8. The Cascades portions over Rainy and Washington Pass is simply a gorgeous drive with lots of camping spots along the way. The Okanogan National Forest lies on both sides of the Methow Valley clear to Mazama then the highway is pretty much in the Forest to Ross Lake. The link does a pretty fair job of describing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Route_20

Yes, I think you would enjoy Hwy 20 through the North Cascades National Park as Lucky Dan said. Much less crowded than 2 or 90 (although the vacation crowd is there but no real commuting nightmare like I5) and as he said places to camp. Once you get to Sedro Woolley, you can head north on 9 which winds through farmland to the Canadian border. Or continue on to I5 (a few miles away) and head north about 15 miles to our place. Or you can go all the way to the coast, taking Hwy 101, explore the Washington coast and Olympic National Park and take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC. I talked to a guy who said when he took the ferry that he wasn't charged the camper rate. That may be just for Washington State ferry system not the one out of P.A. Lots of options and adventure ahead. Take the road less traveled.

Back
Top Bottom